Watch out for the chicken

Stanford was sluggish from the start, and some of its players had an excuse. Six players were suffering from food poisoning stemming from, they believe, chicken they ate before Thursday’s game against ASU.

Starting guards Fred Washington and Mitch Johnson, both of who were afflicted, scored two and zero points, down from season averages of 8.3 and 4.6, respectively.

Never there

Stanford students prepared a “”Never there”” chant for Jawann McClellan based off both his wrist injury and academic ineligibility last year.

But the students weren’t able to use it because McClellan injured his left shoulder in practice Friday when he ran into a Fendi Onobun forearm coming off a screen, McClellan said.

The junior guard said he had hurt the shoulder before and “”rejammed”” it this time.

Though he had trouble lifting his left arm before the game, he said he felt better in the locker room afterward.

“”I’ll be back (today),”” McClellan said. “”It was more precautionary because in a game, if I deflect a pass it could have went back again and I could have irritated it more.””

The man in the mask

Forward Mohamed Tangara saw his first action since having surgery for a sinus fracture he suffered Jan. 24 against ASU when he was accidentally elbowed in the face by forward Jordan Hill. He played three minutes while wearing a protective mask.

Tangara said he wasn’t nervous in his first game back, but that the mask was less than comfortable.

“”It’s weird running with the mask,”” he said. “”I can’t see (through) the sides.””

T him up

For the second straight game, Arizona’s opposing head coaches drew technical fouls. Stanford’s Trent Johnson followed Cal’s Ben Braun by receiving a technical with 9:15 left in the first half.

Promotion gone wrong

Wells Fargo almost handed $100 to a customer of the wrong bank during a promotion at a timeout in the second half. The video monitor closed in on a student holding a Bank of America card and the announcer declared him the winner before the screen quickly moved to a different student in the area, who was given the prize.