“It was an arctic night, sans the weather”

I like to dance. It’s something that has gotten me dirty looks (Deftones, 2001) and accepting glances (Maroon 5, 2004) at concerts, but it keeps me happy and entertained when I’m separated from my friends in the masses.

You know what I don’t like? When I can’t dance because 15-year-old boys with body odor are moshing and pushing me into 17-year-old boys with long, greasy, sweaty hair. Herein lays my only problem with the Arctic Monkeys show.

The Monkeys themselves were flawless as performers. The band kicked off their set at 9:15 p.m. with a rocking introduction to “”This House Is A Circus,”” (off of this year’s Favourite Worst Nightmare) which seamlessly evolved into “”Brianstorm.””

“”I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor”” (from 2006’s Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not) was probably the only song the Monkeys played that had the crowd dancing and not beating each other up. Sandwiched close to the front and center between a bunch of giants proved to be fulfilling – not only was I protected from the jumping masses, but I got to hear the audience join in with lead singer and guitarist Alex Turner as he sang “”And your shoulders are frozen (cold as the night)/ Oh but you’re an explosion (you’re dynamite).””

My only critique with the Monkeys’ performance is that I wish that the band had participated with the audience more. Aside from a quip about being in Tucson, and the customary ploys to elicit screams from concertgoers, talking was kept at a minimum. I doubt that anyone there wanted to see non-stop performing (ala Animal Collective) or to hear about the Green Party all night (Pearl Jam), but some participation is always enjoyable.

The band ended the night with “”A Certain Romance,”” which seemed an odd choice when they could have closed the show with a high energy song like “”Still Take You Home”” or “”Fake Tales of San Francisco,”” which both had the crowd dancing, moshing and singing along.

I forgave the band members for their lack of audience participation after the concert. A lot of booze led to two good, yet brief conversations (and a few drunken photo ops) with Alex and bassist Mike O’Malley at Club Congress. Alex’s soft voice and shy candor gave insight on his lack of stage chat while Mike proceeded to be quite the flirtatious one.

While the band’s performance merits five stars for their constant high energy and Alex’s amazing live vocals, the audience’s lack of maturity did have a negative effect on the overall experience.