“I scream, you scream for yogurt”

Lisa Beth Earle/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Acai berry yogurt with kiwi, gummy bears, mango, pomegranate, and a cherry on top.
    Lisa Beth Earle/Arizona Daily Wildcat Acai berry yogurt with kiwi, gummy bears, mango, pomegranate, and a cherry on top.

Frozen yogurt, or fro-yo, is all the rage. And for good reason — it’s delicious. The problem with fro-yo is the short lifespan its purveyors seem to have. With the downfall of Penguins and Zwirl, which most people didn’t know existed in Penguins’ spot, it seemed fro-yo would never have a permanent home on University Boulevard. But there is hope. Malibu Yogurt & Ice Cream has opened its doors and seems to have staying power. Well known in the real Malibu, Calif., this chilly-treat shop comes with a solid reputation behind it.

The yogurt shop has a lot to offer. First off, its fro-yo isn’t ice-crystal filled like that of BTO. It is creamy, smooth and enjoyable from start to finish. On top of that, you’ll pay only about $5.50 for a serving of fro-yo with three scoops of toppings — a price tag lower than the by-the-ounce deal competitors offer.

Not only does Malibu serve fro-yo, but they also offer shaved ices, Caffé Luce coffee and espresso, muffins, cookies, sundaes, shakes, smoothies and a wide variety of regular ice cream. With plenty of flavors of frozen yogurt and a plethora of toppings, there has to be something you love at Malibu. While I am a fro-yo purist, and I stick to my vanilla, there is tart, chocolate, berry flavors, mocha and more. Toppings include mochi, strawberries, raspberries, chocolate chips, Oreo and Gummi Bears to name a few. Malibu offers a true create-your-own experience.

But bikini season is on the way — how can I eat all those sweets? Fear not! Fro-yo is a healthy alternative to traditional ice cream. Each serving offers about a quarter of the calories of ice cream, more protein, less sugar and no fat. If you stick to fruit as your topping and eat your Malibu in moderation, you’ll still look great in that bikini this summer.

The décor of Malibu is welcoming, fun and summery. The bright colors, surf theme and comfy couches and chairs are perfect to relax on while munching your dessert. The fireplace outside means you can still sit outside on chillier winter nights. And if you use the Zonabucks system, you’ll be happy to know that they are accepted. Malibu is open weekdays until 11 p.m. and weekends until midnight, meaning your late night fro-yo cravings now have a new home. All in all, Malibu has my vote for Tucson’s best fro-yo. It is a must-try on University Boulevard.