2 men arrested after Kennewick gun incident

Two Kennewick men were arrested at gunpoint after they reportedly frightened motorists on Clearwater Avenue by pointing guns at them as they drove by, police said.

The incident occurred around 3:45 p.m. Friday at Clearwater Avenue and Lincoln Street, police said. Fortunately, the guns turned out to be airsoft pellet guns, police said.

The men, Aaron Dakota Barclay and Tory Levi Berg, both 18, were still booked into the Benton County jail on suspicion of creating a public nuisance and unlawful aim/discharge of a weapon.

Barclay also is facing possible drug charges after officers did a security sweep of the duplex the men were outside of and discovered a “”very strong odor of marijuana,”” along with three jars full of marijuana, a scale and large bongs, police said.

Two small children were in the home at the time.

Brittney Womack, 35, arrived home a short time later, but refused to show officers her identification or her medical marijuana prescription card to claim the drugs inside, police said.

She tried to flee but she was handcuffed after a short scuffle, police said. When she was searched, officers found marijuana packaged for sale, cash and several bottle of narcotic pills. She could not produce a valid prescription for the hydrocodone and oxycontin pills and could not remember where the prescription was from, police said.

Womack was jailed on suspicion possessing drugs without a prescription.

Moses Lake shooting death being investigated

MOSES LAKE – A shooting early Sunday that left a Moses Lake man dead was not a random act or accidental, officials said.

Grant County sheriff’s detectives have been investigating the death, which they called “”suspicious,”” since Sunday afternoon when bullet casings were found in the street.

They forced their way into a home at 4324 Sun Drive, just outside Moses Lake, and found Joaquin O. Serrano dead inside, said Grant County Sheriff Tom Jones.

The 23-year-old was identified Monday by Grant County Coroner Craig Morrison. An autopsy to determine the cause of death is being scheduled.

Investigators said they are confident Serrano was the target in the shooting, but it’s unclear whether the shots were fired from a vehicle or by someone on foot, Jones said.

Deputies were called to the area around 3 a.m. Sunday after residents reported hearing gunshots. Officers didn’t find anything suspicious, Jones said.

But about 12 hours later a person called 911 after finding bullet casings in the street and deputies saw bullet holes on the outside of Serrano’s home.

They knocked on the door but didn’t get an answer. They found Serrano’s body when they forced their way inside.

No suspects have been identified.

Anyone with information about the shooting can call Detective Ryan Green with the sheriff’s major crime unit at 509-754-2011, ext. 468, or email crimetips@co.grant.wa.us.

‘Shred Day’ fills 2 trucks from CI Shred with paper

Many Tri-Citians are now better protected from identity theft, thanks to Tri-Cities Crime Stoppers’ annual Shred Day.

On Saturday, 165 bins of material were dropped off by people in Kennewick and Richland.

The paper and other items was shredded and filled 2 1/2 trucks from CI Shred, said Mike Blatman, law enforcement coordinator for Tri-Cities Crime Stoppers.

Numbers from Yakima weren’t available Monday, but Blatman said they filled about 60 more bins in the Tri-Cities than they did during last year’s event.

There was no cost for people to drop off old financial documents, but donations were accepted for the Crime Stoppers reward fund.

In Kennewick and Richland, the effort collected $2,967, which was more than double the $1,400 donated last year, Blatman said.