Live music is back at Main Gate

Progressive jazz trio What’s the Big Idea performs at Geronimo Plaza on July 1. (Courtesy of What’s the Big Idea)

The Marshall Foundation has relaunched its live concerts series at Main Gate Square’s Geronimo Plaza on 820 E. University Blvd.

“Friday Night Live” kicked off April 8 with jazz saxophonist and flutist Bryan Savage and will continue every other Friday night through August, featuring other local musicians. The next concert is Friday, April 22 with jazz saxophonist Neamen Lyles. 

The Marshall Foundation has hosted a free concert series in Geronimo Plaza for 16 years, said General Manager Jane McCollum. The events historically attract a few hundred people.

Even though the pandemic threatened the 2020 series, the foundation managed to put on a scaled-back version with limited audiences. 

“Actually, we hosted the concerts in the summer of 2020 with 50 in attendance,” McCollum said. “Masking was required in 2020 with social distancing. In 2021, we were able to have larger audiences who wore masks and eventually had approximately 300 patrons”

McCollum said she has high hopes that the audience will match pre-pandemic levels, which is good for businesses along the bustling University Boulevard. The Marshall Foundation is the landlord for those businesses.  

McCollum said most of the audience for the concert series come from the area including surrounding neighborhoods and towns. 

“Our audience also drives up from Sahuarita, drives down from Oro Valley, Catalina, the foothills and Saddlebrook,” McCollum said. “These concerts drive business to our businesses and we have loyal customers.  Some of our more mature audiences enjoy the liveliness of our area in spring and summer.”

McCollum said that the variety of the artists attract audiences from different age groups as well.

Admission to the concerts is free and the music starts at 7:30 p.m. Here’s the lineup:

Saxophonist Neamen Lyles is set to perform on April 22. (Courtesy Neamen Lyles)

Connie Brannock’s blues rock band Little House of Funk performing on stage. (Courtesy Little House of Funk)

• The series closes with the rocking Tucson cumbia band Vox Urbana, Aug. 26

To stay updated on live music at Geronimo Plaza, you can follow the “Main Gate Square – University Boulevard” Facebook page.

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter