Men’s team hits road to take on No. 10 Florida

In the span of two days, the Arizona men’s tennis team defeated Northern Arizona University 5-1 and Nevada 6-1, and are sitting at No. 50 in Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings. Bolstered by their success on the court, the team’s confidence level runs high as Arizona (2-0) heads to Gainesville, Fla., to take on the Gators.

However, the Wildcats made it clear that they are by no means becoming complacent.

“”University of Florida is going to be a very big challenge for us,”” said sophomore Jay Goldman. “”We’re all confident in our abilities. For us, we only have one way to go.””

It does appear the team’s first match on the road will be a tough one. Florida (2-0) is ranked 10th nationally, with previous wins over Furman and Baylor. It also boasts three players ranked in the top 100 nationally, compared with Arizona who has one – No. 88 Goldman. However, with a large majority of the Gators’ team being underclassmen, Arizona has the potential to capitalize on Florida’s inexperience.

“”Basically, we’re going to prepare like we always prepare. We’ll make sure we’re as fresh as we can after this weekend going in to next weekend,”” said UA head coach Tad Berkowitz. “”From a mental standpoint, the guys are confident and ready to take on the challenge.””

Senior Ravid Hazi added: “”They are good players, but we are good players too. They are a big favorite over us. … We are all excited. We are going to go there, do our best, and hopefully it will be in our favor.””

For Goldman, the game plan to beat the Gators is simple.

“”Our goal is to do some damage down there and make them work hard,”” he said. “”I think they’re going to have a challenge with us.””