Campus-area pizza joint 1702 offers a lot of crust for your buck

Timothy Galaz / Arizona Daily Wildcat

1702
    Timothy Galaz
    Timothy Galaz / Arizona Daily Wildcat 1702

Looking for beer and pizza? What college student isn’t? If a big ol’ slice of thin crust pie and a microbrew or imported beer tickles your fancy, stop by 1702.

The little pizza shop on Speedway Boulevard — the name is the address — offers big eats for a small price. It is most definitely worth stopping by before or after a game or after a hard day of the classes.

1702 offers massive portions; no appetite is too big for a single slice. These puppies are so big you don’t get a knife but a mini pizza cutter to help devour them. Ranging from $5 to $8 for a slice, it definitely fits a college budget.

Don’t worry: You can get whole pies, massive salads, cheesy-garlicky good bread or wings to help satisfy your appetite. The tiny space filled with beer paraphernalia is welcoming and busy. 1702 is a real neighborhood joint.

If you need a great beer to pair with your pizza, don’t hesitate to ask. The staff is knowledgeable and can get down to the nitty-gritty. Don’t expect to find a Bud Light, Shock Top, Guinness or other name brand beer — 1702 doesn’t go there. Specialty beer is its territory. Can’t make up your mind? Ask for a sip of your top choices to sample.

If you’re looking for a good spot to take a large group, 1702 offers a rather spacious back room and has plenty of tables that can be pulled together to accommodate larger parties. Beware, the bathrooms are not quite as nice as the restaurant; however, it’s a small con to throw into a long list of pros.

Although the wait can be a bit long for a single slice when the place is busy, it is worth the wait. If you’re looking for speed at the busiest pizza hours, however, you may need to try elsewhere.

1702 is a killer pizza joint well suited for the college crowd. Its endless beer selection and massive portions of good pizza make it well worth braving the bright red walls, rowdy college crowd, bad bathrooms and lack of parking. Don’t believe me? See for yourself.

1702 is located at 1702 E. Speedway Blvd., just west of Campbell Avenue. Its current hours are listed as Monday-Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Thursday-Friday: 11 a.m. to midnight, Saturday: noon – midnight — and they claim to be willing to stay open as late as 2 a.m. if customers are still showing up.  Can’t find it? Look for Bentley’s House of Coffee and Tea in the Nob Hill strip, and then walk three stores down.