Peace Corps Fellows to educate through film

As the U.S. Peace Corps gets ready to celebrate 50 years of international service, the UA Peace Corps Fellows continue to promote the power of the individual with the film “”One Peace at a Time.””

This documentary created by Turk Pipkin — a writer, actor, and activist — takes viewers around the world to explore how normal people can help provide basic rights for children everywhere.

With thoughts from several Nobel Peace Prize winners and music by Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan and others, the film strives to accomplish the Third Goal of the Peace Corps and “”bring home the lessons learned while serving abroad as Peace Corps Volunteers.””

Richard Mora, Jr., the president of the UA Peace Corps Fellows, hopes the film will cause people to look at their own communities and find areas to serve.

“”I hope people take home the message that each person can make a difference in their community once they find their passion,”” Mora said. “”Find that one issue you care about.””

The UA Peace Corps Fellows actively serve the Tucson Community and the UA.

“”On Wednesday, we are going to participate in the Study Abroad Fair,”” Mora said. “”We have also worked at Los Niños Elementary School doing beautification projects — painting and cleaning up the area.””     

Since 2000, the UA Peace Corps Fellows have served over 100 Tucson organizations. With 61 current members completing two-year internships in the community, the Peace Corps Fellows at the UA is the second largest in the nation.

“”Part of our work is to educate the community about pertinent issues in the world and inspire people to action,”” said Mora of the film. “”Films, like ‘One Peace at a Time’ and others we’ve brought to campus, help us to achieve the Peace Corps’ Third Goal.””

“”One Peace at a Time”” will play at Gallagher Theatre at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 16.

Although admission is $5 for students and $8 for the public, the UA Peace Corps Fellows use all of the proceeds to further their service to local communities.

One individual really can change the world, and the Peace Corps Fellows wants to show you how.