Police Beat: Oct. 22

Headlight misuse illuminates suspended license

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrested a non-UA affiliated man for driving with a suspended license on Tuesday.

The officer was at an intersection on Speedway Boulevard at about 12:09 a.m. when he noticed a car in the middle lane stopped at the same light, traveling in the opposite direction. The vehicle’s lights were off, so the officer did a U-turn in the patrol car and pulled the car over.

The driver identified himself verbally, and a records check revealed his driver’s license was suspended. The man recited the last four digits of his Social Security number to the officer, which matched the one on the suspended license. After his identity was confirmed, the man was placed under arrest for driving with a suspended license and his vehicle was towed.

Debate gets physical

A man reported that another man assaulted him on Monday at 5:22 p.m. Both men are UA students and were part of a political demonstration occurring before a debate at the Student Union Memorial Center. Neither one of the two men were injured. The man accused of assault apologized for his actions. The victim indicated he had no intentions of prosecuting.

On Monday, a UAPD officer was monitoring a crowd that had gathered near the student union for a political debate that was about to start. There were several people in the crowd yelling and chanting for their political candidates.

The officer noticed a disturbance in the crowd as a victim came running forward yelling, “”His hands were around my neck, he was choking me!”” The officer started toward this person, who was pointing towards another man. The officer took both students aside and obtained identification from each of them. Both individuals were very agitated and still yelling at each other. The officer advised both men that they needed to calm down so that he could determine what had happened.

The officer questioned the victim first, who explained that he had been shouting in the crowd when the other man got angry and placed his hands around his neck as if to choke him. He said he was not injured, and that the other man hadn’t applied pressure on his neck. He did not feel that he had tried to choke him.

The victim said he only wanted the other man to know that he could not act like that or get physical. When asked if he wanted the man to be arrested for his actions, the victim said he did not believe things “”rose to that level,”” and was not willing to participate in the prosecutorial process.

The officer then spoke with the other man and asked him what had happened. The man said, “”I lost my cool,”” and admitted he had put his hands around the other student’s neck. He said he wasn’t trying to choke him. He just wanted to hold him there because he was so frustrated with him. The man stated he had become upset because the victim had been shouting political rhetoric directly in his face. He also said he understood violence was not acceptable and apologized to the victim. Both subjects shook hands and were laughing about what had happened as they parted ways.

Can is half-empty

A man was arrested for consuming alcohol in public on Tuesday.

A UAPD officer was driving eastbound on Speedway Boulevard at 8 a.m. when he noticed a man sitting at a bus stop drinking from a can in a brown paper bag. The officer went up to him and saw that the can was a 24-ounce can of Steel Reserve beer.

The man was identified, cited and released for consuming spirituous liquor in public. The officer disposed of the half-full beer can on scene.

Unattended backpack stolen from Old Main

A UA student reported a backpack containing her laptop and wallet was stolen sometime between 12:15 p.m. and 1:06 p.m. on Tuesday.

The officer spoke with the woman on the phone at 1:06 p.m. She told him she had left her green Jansport backpack near the stage at Old Main at about 12:46 p.m. that day and when she returned at 1:06 p.m., it was gone.

Her Blackberry phone, wallet, credit cards, $60 in cash and laptop had all been in the backpack.  

It’s your bike? Prove it

A man said he found his stolen bicycle locked up to a bike rack on the north side of Old Main on Tuesday.

A UAPD officer went to Old Main and met with the man at 2:35 p.m. to figure out what had happened. The man said his bike had just been stolen at around 2 p.m. from the Modern Languages building and had wanted to try and locate the bike before filing a report with UAPD.

He said he knew it was his because there were three scratches on the seat of the bicycle that he had put there. The man also said that he still had the paperwork for the bike and could prove ownership. The officer placed a UAPD bike lock on the frame of the bicycle to secure it in place. The man will bring his proof of ownership documents to UAPD, or the lock will be removed.

U-Lock still trumps two cable locks

A student’s bicycle was stolen from the bike racks behind Sky View Apartments sometime between the hours of 1:30 p.m. on Friday and 9:30 p.m. on Monday.

The student had locked up his bicycle with two cable locks on Friday and returned to the same spot three days later to find it missing. He reported the incident at 10:58 a.m. on Monday and met with a UAPD officer to give his report.

The student described his bicycle as being almost all white, with some black and red accents. The bicycle’s value is believed to be about $300. The student did not have his bicycle registered with Parking and Transportation Services, and was not sure of his bike’s serial number at the time of his report either. He was advised to call UAPD back when he was able to find that information. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.