Asian Affairs closer to new director

Luis Kong, who has doctoral degree in education, addresses Asian Pacific American Student Affairs yesterday afternoon to discuss his nomination for director. Kong made it through a rigorous application process that he began alongside 24 other applicants in January.

The office of Asian Pacific American Student Affairs’ eight-month search for a new director may be coming to an end after students and search committee members met with one candidate yesterday.

Luis J. Kong, an academic leader currently living in California, came to the UA to meet with students and staff and to interview for the job.

“”I am interested in the kind of work that APASA is doing around leadership and really getting APA students involved in that and helping students do better academically,”” Kong said.

A student board of directors has been running APASA in the absence of a true director.

Pierre Niere, a pre-physiology sophomore and board member, said he was confident Kong was qualified but he wanted to see “”how he reacts to students and if he’s passionate about his job.””

“”Hopefully the new director will help advertise APASA,”” Niere said.

Kong said he wanted to make the organization more visible at the UA. Lack of recognition was a concern for many Asian Pacific American students, including Niere.

“”I think it’s really important to reach out to the other departments and services to collaboratively serve APA students and promote what the students are doing and how they contribute to life on campus,”” Kong said.

Kong said his first reaction to the UA has been positive and that he was excited by what he saw.

“”(The campus is) very dynamic, with lots of activity. The students seem very involved in what they are doing here,”” Kong said.

Cholik Chan, a professor in the department of aerospace and mechanical engineering, is the APASA faculty fellow and was also a member of the search committee for a new director.

Chan said Kong was invited to the UA for a series of face-to-face interviews after he survived a selection process that started last January and began with about 25 applicants.

Chan said he was looking for a candidate who understood that “”the success of the center is essential to success of the students.””

Daniel Trinh, a pre-pharmacy sophomore, said he was happy with the way the organization had been run under the student board of directors.

“”So far, so good,”” Trinh said.

Niere said the APASA center, which will soon be making a move from Old Main to the Nugent building, is a place of comfort and support.

“”I feel at home, after a long day of classes and exams, just to come here,”” Niere said.

Mark Wong, a computer engineering senior, said he wasn’t worried about sweeping changes to the character of the center.

“”I don’t see him coming in and flipping everything over to his way. I don’t believe anyone is going to allow that to happen,”” Wong said.