FINAL: No. 19 UCLA beats Arizona 31-26

UA+senior+defensive+lineman+Tevin+Hood+tackles+a+UCLA+player+at+home+on+Saturday.++
Ryan Revock
UA senior defensive lineman Tevin Hood tackles a UCLA player at home on Saturday.

The Arizona Wildcats’ comeback bid came up short against No. 19 UCLA Bruins, as the UA lost 31-26.

Although Arizona (6-3, 3-3 Pac-12) started the game with senior kicker Jake Smith scoring a field goal, UCLA (7-2, 4-2) responded quickly with a 66-yard passing touchdown in its first play of the game.

The Wildcat defense struggled to contain UCLA’s quarterback Brett Hundley, who scored a 15 yard rushing touchdown late in the first quarter. Hundley had 227 yards passing on the game, going 18-for-25 and rushing for 56 yards on 14 carries.

Junior running back Ka’Deem Carey answered UCLA by fighting his way into the end zone for his 11th rushing touchdown of the season. Carey rushed for 149 yards on 28 carries, his 12th 100-plus rushing game in a row.

UCLA ended the half with a four-yard passing touchdown with 16 seconds left on the clock. Then the Bruins opened the third quarter with a 34-yard field goal.

Arizona drove down the field, but their hopes for a touchdown were shattered when Carey was tackled at the goal line. Carey did a 360 degree flip, and fumbled the ball, which the Bruins recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

The fumbles continued, when UCLA fumbled the ball at their 28 yard line. Senior quarter back B.J. Denker threw a quick 15-yard pass. The Wildcats had to settle for a 27-yard field goal though.

Denker passed for 186 yards, going 20-for-33 and rushed for 82 yards on 16 carries.

Arizona injected life into the game after an eight play drive ending with a 15-yard pass from Denker to freshman receiver Nate Phillips, cutting UCLA’s lead to 5. The Wildcats attempted a two-point conversion, to no avail.

Phillips had eight catches for 97 yards.

The real star of the game, however, was UCLA’s freshman linebacker Myles Jack who ran for 120 yards on six carries and had eight tackles, one for a loss.

With several impressive runs on the night, Jack’s biggest highlight came from his last carry of the night, in the fourth quarter, a 66-yard rushing touchdown extending UCLA’s lead to 12.

Arizona came back with another touchdown by Phillips, his second of the night.

The Wildcats’ upset bid ended when Denker’s pass was intercepted at the 22 yard line with just under two minutes on the clock.

Up next for Arizona is a date with Washington State next Saturday at home.

Follow Scarlett McCourt @scarlettnoelani