Police Beat: Feb. 4

Plenty of room for marijuana activities

A resident assistant at Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall reported an odor of marijuana coming a room to the University of Arizona Police Department at 10:43 p.m. on Wednesday.

Two UAPD officers arrived to the dorm and met with the RA, who pointed out the room where the smell was coming from.

The officers knocked on the door, and while waiting for the residents to appear one of the officers noticed that the room did smell of marijuana.

A male UA student opened the door and the officer requested to enter the room to talk.

The officer told both students to sit in their respective desks.

While the officer advised the students as to why UAPD had been called in, the officer noticed a glass grinder and a bag with a leafy brown substance on top of one of the student’s desks.

The officers then interviewed each student individually.

Both students denied to smoking marijuana but submitted to additional property searches.

The officers were able to find marijuana, a vaporizer, two grinders and more plastic bags with residue.

The officers placed the students under arrest for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. The students were cited and released.

The students were referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.

Car of drunk students busted

A car full of UA students was charged for minors in possession after attempting to run from police at a traffic stop.

A UAPD officer stopped a car for making an improper left turn at Mountain Avenue and Speedway Boulevard at 11:39 a.m. on Saturday.

The vehicle stopped in the parking lot on Vine Avenue behind the Sigma Chi fraternity house.

Immediately after stopping, the passengers of the vehicle attempted to exit quickly.

However, the car was parked too closely to other vehicles and the passengers were unable to flee.

The officer stopped the students from leaving and went to talk with the driver.

While talking with the driver, the officer noticed several cans of Keystone Light in the vehicle.

The driver said that he had just come from an off-campus house to pick up a few friends that needed a ride.

The passengers had all piled into the car, and the driver decided to help them get to campus despite not knowing them.

The driver was dropping the passengers off at Sigma Chi fraternity.

The driver was also unaware that any of the passengers brought beer into the vehicle.

The officer then spoke to all of the passengers and concluded that all of them had intoxicants in their system by way of breathalyzer.

The student passengers were cited and released for minors in possession.

The driver was given a warning for having open containers in the vehicle after no one claimed ownership to the beer.

The students were all referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Car broken into at sorority

A female UA student had several items stolen from her vehicle parked in the Delta Gamma sorority parking lot early Jan. 29.

The student reported the theft to UAPD at 12:32 p.m.

The student told the officer that she found her car with its passenger window broken in the morning.

She said that she parked in the southernmost portion of the lot, furthest from First Street, at 1:00 a.m.

The passenger-side window was partially broken, enough to allow for a hand and arm to gain access into the vehicle, and the vehicle was still locked.

A digital camera and a small clutch purse on the passenger’s seat were stolen.

The officer could not see how the glass broke or find any additional evidence.