Fast Facts

Illustration by Abbey Golden
    Illustration by Abbey Golden

• Up until the age of 6 or 7 months, a child can breathe and swallow at the same time, which an adult cannot do.
    • Kangaroos never drink water; they produce their own fluids from the air they breathe and the food they eat.
    • As a child, mathematician Blaise Pascal once locked himself in a room for several days, during which time he solved all of Euclid’s geometrical propositions totally on his own.
    • Poison oak isn’t oak, and poison ivy isn’t ivy at all; in fact, both are members of the cashew family.
    • In the 19th century, many people were accidentally poisoned by common household products like wallpaper dyes, playing cards, hat linings and flypaper, all of which contained lethal concentrations of arsenic.
    • It is believed that the mosquito is responsible for more than half of all human deaths throughout history.
    • U.S. presidents, their wives and senators and congressmen are exempt from paying postage. All they have to do is sign their name in the corner of the envelope in a practice known as “”franking.”” Today “”franked”” envelopes are valuable collectors’ items.
    • It has been estimated that if all the seas of Earth dried up, they would leave about 4,419,330 cubic miles of rock salt, enough to cover the entire U.S. with a layer 1.5 miles deep.