Look to the stars with Flandrau

Ana Beltran
On “International Observe the Moon Night” people are encouraged to look up and view the moon, whether it’s with the naked eye or in this case, a telescope. The UA joined this world-wide event at the Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium on October 21, 2018.

The University of Arizona Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium is starting the semester looking to the sky by hosting a total lunar eclipse viewing along with live music.

The event will be on Sunday, Jan. 20 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on the UA Mall, and is not just for students but families as well. Children of all ages are encouraged to come. 

Flandrau is working with the UA’s Fred Fox School of Music to make this event a memorable experience that is, according to Flandrau Director Shipperd Reed. In addition to viewing the total lunar eclipse and enjoying live music, guests will have the opportunity to use telescopes to look at the stars and participate in activities provided by Flandrau. 

RELATED: UA students paint the town with new mural

“This experience is exciting, due to the UA’s Chamber Winds ensemble teaming up with us and making the total lunar eclipse into a unique combination, also known as a Moon Music Serenade,” Reed said.

A total lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the moon and the sun, causing the Earth’s shadow to cover the full face of the moon. The total eclipse happens when the moon appears to look red because of the sunlight that goes around the Earth and through its atmosphere, which then provides illumination, Reed explained.

The eclipse will start Sunday, Jan. 20, at 8:30 p.m. This is when the shadow of the Earth first intersects with the moon. It will then move across until the moon’s entire face is covered, which will happen by 9:40 p.m.

Before the total lunar eclipse, Steve Koretenkamp, UA planetary scientist, will give a presentation about the moon and discuss what is known about it and what scientists continue to discover from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which is a NASA research spacecraft that orbits the moon, Reed said. 

RELATED: From gems to books; campus blossoms in spring

During the total lunar eclipse, the Chamber Winds will perform selections to complement the eclipse.

The viewing of the telescopes, concert and the exhibits inside the Flandrau will be open and free to the public. The special moon presentation, Planetarium show and the “Dark Side of the Moon” laser light music show are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and are $5 each. Seating is limited, Reed added. 

For more information you can visit Flandrau’s front desk at 1601 E. University Blvd. or its website under the events tab.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter