Police Beat: Nov. 16

Frisky fraud

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall at 12:30 a.m. on Friday in response to an allegation of fraud. The officer met with a woman who said Chase Bank had notified her on Nov. 9 about a fraudulent purchase made to her debit card. The purchase was for $4 to a pornographic video website called “mfrealbzone.” The woman deactivated her card. There are no witnesses or suspects at this time.

Copper thieves hit Coronado

A UAPD officer went to Coronado Residence Hall at 7:45 a.m. on Thursday in response to a theft of copper wiring from the construction site around the dorm. The officer met with the superintendent from the construction company, who reported that someone had stolen more than 100 feet of copper wire between 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 9 and 6:30 a.m. on Thursday.

The superintendent said the total value of the stolen copper is about $350. The wire was attached to a generator. The superintendent said one of his workers had arrived at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday and saw the fence was partially open on the south side of the construction site. The foreman called many of the recycling businesses in the area to see if anyone had turned in the wire, but no one had. He told the businesses to keep a look out for the stolen wire. Victim’s rights forms were given to the construction company.

P-Card fraud

A UAPD officer spoke with a UA employee on the phone on Thursday about several fraudulent purchases made with her UA purchasing card. The woman said she noticed several purchases made to the card that she had not made or authorized. She said she never lent the card to anyone and the card was still in her wallet, where she always kept it.

The first charge was made on Nov. 4 to Vesigo Studios, in the amount of $99.95. Other charges were made between Nov. 7 and Nov. 8 to a Sleep America in Goodyear, Ariz., for $2,106.98, Verizon Wireless for $333.80 and $99 to Groupon.com. The woman said she had notified the purchasing department to cancel her card.

Celestial and buggy graffiti tags

A UAPD officer went to McClelland Hall at 9 a.m. on Thursday in response to graffiti painted onto the sidewalk and on the handicap access ramp of the building. The officer noticed the words “Deer Tick” and “Divine Providence” stenciled onto the property. The words were in pink paint and appeared to have been applied using a stencil.

The officer photographed the area and called Facilities Management to schedule the removal of the graffiti. The officer searched the words online and found that “Deer Tick” is the name of a band from Providence, R.I., and “Divine Providence” is the title of the group’s fourth album. A stencil was packaged with the online purchase of the album on vinyl. The stencil shown on the band’s website was consistent to the graffiti at McClelland Hall, the officer noted. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to the UA.