Police Beat: March 27

An unpleasant lunch

A female student called the University of Arizona Police Department because her boyfriend, another student, was screaming inside of her car and punching the dashboard at 1:50 p.m. on Thursday. Officers arrived at the scene on Helen Street and Warren Avenue and began speaking to the woman, who was crying hysterically. The officers asked where her boyfriend was, and she said that he ran away. She told officers that they were eating at Olive Garden when they started getting in a verbal argument. The argument was over who was paying for lunch, because neither had exact change. She eventually paid for lunch, which she said, “Just made him more upset, and on our way home, he was punching my passenger dashboard.” She said he then started to push the shifter into park and tried to turn off the ignition, which made her keys break and fall onto the floor. As she began calling the police, she said her boyfriend ripped the phone out of her hand and jumped out of the car, dropping her phone. She said he then stood in front of the car so she could not drive away.

Officers found her boyfriend and arrested him. They asked him to tell them what happened, and he told them the same thing that his girlfriend had. He told officers, “I am sorry for my actions and I should have not have acted that way.” The woman said she did not wish to press charges or for him to go to jail — she just wanted him to go to counseling for a few months. Her boyfriend was arrested and booked at Pima County Jail for disorderly conduct and domestic violence.

That new car smell

UAPD officers were on patrol when they noticed a Nissan Altima on the road without registration tags on its license plate at 12:02 a.m. on Wednesday. Officers approached the vehicle and asked for the male driver’s registration, proof of insurance document and driver’s license. The driver said he did not have proof of insurance because he had just bought the vehicle two weeks ago. Officers asked where he bought the vehicle, and the driver pointed to a female passenger and said, “from her.” The woman confirmed that she had sold the vehicle to the driver. An officer scanned the driver’s license into his system and found that the driver had been previously arrested for marijuana possession. When the officer returned to the car, he smelled marijuana coming from it. He asked the driver to step out of the vehicle, and asked him if there were any drugs, guns or alcohol inside of the vehicle.

The driver said that none of those things were in the car. The officer then asked the driver if he could search the car, and the driver said he wasn’t sure if that was possible because the car wasn’t technically his yet. Officers asked the woman if they could search the car, and she replied, “Uh, yeah, sure.” Officers searched the car and found .4 grams of marijuana and a miniature pipe. The driver and the four passengers were arrested for drug possession, and the driver was also cited for driving without insurance and having overly tinted windows.