Police Beat: April 23

Hoppin’ over

A member of the Delta Gamma sorority called the University of Arizona Police Department after she saw a man jump over a fence into the sorority house’s backyard at 2:19 a.m. on Sunday. The woman said she suspected that the man was homeless. An officer responded to the scene and found the man hiding behind a porta-potty. As the officer escorted the man away from the sorority house, he kept saying, “I didn’t do anything wrong.”
    The officer asked the man to tell him his name and date of birth, and the man said he was born on Oct. 37, 1977. When the officer told him that there are not 37 days in October, the man corrected himself immediately and said he was born on Oct. 7. The officer did a background check on the man, and found he had a warrant out for his arrest for shoplifting charges. The man was arrested and searched, and the officer found he was carrying a Motorola RAZR cellphone, a set of keys, an iPod nano and a tool used for breaking windows.
    The officer asked why he was carrying this tool, and he said he found it on the ground at a nearby park. The officer then asked why he jumped the sorority house’s fence, and he said, “I was taking a short cut to my house.” The man was put in the back of the police car and taken to Pima County Jail for third-degree trespassing.

A morning buzz

A UAPD officer was patrolling campus on a bike when he saw two students speaking loudly to each other, stumbling and popping balloons and 9:38 a.m. on April 15. He also noticed that the students had red cups in their hands. When the officer approached the students and asked them what was in the cups, one of the men said, “Vodka and Red Bull.”
    The officer noticed the smell of alcohol coming from their breath and that they had red, watery eyes. When he asked if they had been drinking, one of them said, “We were at some crazy party last night and woke up at the house totally hung over. We saw some alcohol that was left from the party last night so we decided to cure our hangovers by pouring ourselves a drink.” He then said they were walking to “some charity race.”
    The officer asked for identification, and saw they were younger than 21. He told them it is illegal to drink underage as well as in public, and cited them for minor in possession of alcohol in body. They were referred to the Dean of Students Office for a Code of Conduct violation.