Police Beat: Oct. 11

iSpy

Someone turned in an iPhone that they found on the corner of Fremont Avenue and Helen Street to the University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday.

At approximately 12:20 p.m. the person found the phone and brought it into the police station, stating only where the phone had been found. The iPhone is black and is eight gigabytes. It was inventoried into the UAPD’s property and evidence.

Students score a steal, caught by cops

Two UA students were cited and released on Tuesday.

At approximately 12:02 a.m. an officer was dispatched to one of the residence halls on campus after receiving a call about an odor of marijuana coming from one of the dorms. The officer was directed to the room by one of the resident assistants.

The officer knocked on the door and heard the sound of tape being pulled off the door jam. A man opened the door and from inside the room the officer saw an additional man sitting on one of the beds. The officer could smell a strong odor of burnt marijuana coming from the room. He asked both students to step out of the room and sit along a wall in the hallway.

After asking the men to sit down, the officer asked them for identification. The first man identified himself using a New Hampshire driver’s license, and the second identified himself using a California driver’s license.

The officer asked one of the men to reenter the room and read him his Miranda Rights. The student stated that he understood his rights and would answer any questions from the police. He told the officer that sometime between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Oct. 4, he and the other student in the room spoke with an undisclosed person near the Coronado Residence Hall who offered him a gram of marijuana for $2.

The man told the officer that he and his friend bought the marijuana from the man and went back to their residence hall to smoke it. According to the man they smoked the marijuana from a pipe that they owned. The man pulled the marijuana from a green bottle under his bed and showed it to the officer.

The officer then spoke with the other man. The man agreed to answer questions after being read his Miranda Rights. He provided an account that was identical to the first student’s account.

The officer arrested both men at 12:42 a.m. for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. After signing their citations, both of the men were released without incident.

When the officer returned to the UAPD main office, he weighed the marijuana at 0.9 grams. It was sent to the Arizona Department of Safety for scientific analysis. The glass pipe was placed into property as evidence.

‘MoleMan & The Sand Sharks’ strike again

Graffiti was found on the Biological Sciences West building on Tuesday at 9:14 a.m.

While a UAPD officer and a police aid were conducting a building check they discovered that the floor and wall of the northeast stairwell of the building had been vandalized with graffiti.

There were two spots of graffiti written in black marker in block script that read, “”SOO WOO!!! I LOVE METH!!!”” It covers approximately a square foot and is located on the top step of the stairwell.

The second spot of graffiti reads “”MoleMan & The Sand Sharks,”” also written in block letters. It is approximately 18 inches in length and 1.5 inches tall.

UA Maintenance was advised by dispatch. Pictures of the graffiti were taken and placed into evidence. There is no suspect information.

Police arrest man ‘just chillin”

A UAPD officer was patrolling the fourth floor of the UA Main Library at about 6:05 p.m. on Tuesday, when he observed a man who appeared to be napping on the north side of the library.

The man’s eyes were closed and he was lying with both legs stretched out on two large chairs that he had pushed together to form a bed. His head was on a pillow that he had brought with him and he was wearing a T-shirt, sweatpants and socks. His shoes were on the floor next to him and his glasses were lying on a table next to him.

The officer greeted the man, who woke up, and asked what he was doing at the library. The man replied that he was “”just chillin’.””

The officer explained to him that the UA library is private property to be used for legitimate purposes only. The officer then asked the man for his ID and ran a check on him. It turned out that the man had an extraditable child support warrant issued with a bond of $3,500.

The officer arrested the man and placed him in handcuffs. He then conducted a search of the man and his backpack, but found no contraband. The man was transported to the Pima County Adult Detention Complex and was booked on his warrant.