Police Beat: Aug. 29

Not so well in the stairwell

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall around midnight on Wednesday in response to an intoxicated student. The man was sitting on the steps of the fourth floor staircase and vomitting repeatedly. The officer noticed the smell of alcohol coming from the man’s mouth and that he also had watery eyes and a lack of balance. His speech was slurred. Paramedics from the Tucson Fire Department treated the man on scene and determined he did not need to be taken to the hospital. The officer helped the man to his room and read him his rights. The man agreed to answer any questions. He told the officer that he had two drinks of hard liquor earlier at an unknown fraternity house on campus. The man was cited with minor in possession of alcohol and was released into the care of his roommate.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of Arizona

A UAPD officer arrived at Cochise Residence Hall around midnight on Wednesday in response to a report of a woman vomiting in the lobby. The officer met with the woman and her roommate. The woman was vomiting continuously into a bucket and was on the verge of passing out. Tucson Fire Department medics assessed the woman and transported her to University Medical Center for treatment for extreme intoxication. The officer asked the woman’s roommate where they had been and if they had consumed any alcohol. The roommate said they had been at a fraternity party off-campus and she had not been with her friend the whole time. The officer asked her if she had been drinking and she replied, crying, that she had only had one shot of liquor. The officer informed the roommate she was under arrest for drinking underage and she continued to cry. “I just want to go home, I don’t want to be in Arizona anymore,” the roommate said. The officer went to UMC to follow up on the other woman. She was stable and admitted to having five shots of vodka. The woman was cited for minor in possession of alcohol. Both women were referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Bulletin board bullying

A UAPD officer responded to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Wednesday morning after racially inappropriate comments were left on a bulletin board in the hall. The officer met with the resident assistant and community director, who showed him the message. The RA said he had been in class the day before between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. and had noticed the message when he returned. He removed it and placed it in his room to show to police later. The paper had been placed on the board with the question, “What did you do over the summer?” The question had been intended for people to write about their summer experience, the RA said. Someone had written, “Killed numerous black people” under the question. The RA, a black man, said he did not find the phrase particularly offensive, nor did he think the message was directed at him. He said he was concerned, however, for the other black residents in the dorm. The community director reviewed camera footage from the hallway and found three possible people involved, but could not tell what they had written. The officer unsuccessfully attempted to contact the individuals at their rooms. The bulletin was placed into property and evidence at UAPD.

Frauds on PCard

A UAPD officer contacted a College of Medicine employee on Wednesday who reported fraudulent purchases had been made earlier in the week to her UA-issued purchasing card. The woman found nine purchases made to the card, totaling $1,043.97. The purchases had been made on Aug. 22 between midnight and 4 p.m. to the charity organization The Oregon Family Seven, Q-Furniture LLC, Member VII Inc., Peoplefinders.com, BergdorfGoodman.com and Verizon Wireless. No representatives from the businesses had any suspect information. The PCard was canceled.