University Blvd. restaurant aims to beat curse

Music education graduate student Tyler Dunn bartends at the newly opened Auld Dubliner yesterday evening. Some say that the University Boulevard location is cursed, citing numerous failed businesses previously located there.
    Music education graduate student Tyler Dunn bartends at the newly opened Auld Dubliner yesterday evening. Some say that the University Boulevard location is ‘cursed,’ citing numerous failed businesses previously located there.

A new restaurant in a “”cursed”” University Boulevard spot opened its doors yesterday, making it the Marshall Foundation’s most recent effort to redefine entertainment and dining options at Main Gate Square.

The Auld Dubliner, an Irish pub at 800 E. University Blvd., is located at the former home of Fat Tuesdays.

The address has housed many shops and retail stores since its original construction as the Geronimo hotel in 1919, and the high turnover rate has led some to jokingly refer to the spot as cursed.

Jane McCollum, general manager of the Marshall Foundation, which owns all the leases on University Boulevard between North Park Avenue and North Euclid Avenue, said the “”curse”” was only caused by hastily established businesses whose owners thought they would do well just because they were at a university location.

Although the Auld Dubliner will obviously cater to the college crowd with its 20-ounce Imperial pint at the forefront, they primarily aim at serving authentic Irish dishes to patrons from all demographics, said Tony Simons, one of the four owners of the Auld Dubliner name.

“”Everything you see here is the real deal, made in Ireland and brought here. This isn’t an Irish sports bar,”” Simons said.

The wooden barstools, tables and even rafters were all imported from Ireland, Simons said.

“”We are owner, operators who get things done. The Irish pub is really a timeless concept, and the longer it’s here, the better it will do,”” said Simons, in reference to the “”curse”” of 800 E. University Blvd.

“”Everything you see here is the real deal, made in Ireland and brought here. This isn’t an Irish sports bar.””
    – Tony Simons,
    co-owner

Simons said the Auld Dubliner will offer entertainment from Los Angeles in addition to live music Tuesday through Sunday.

The Auld Dubliner is among the first round of several handpicked additions coming to the Main Gate Square strip this year.

The L.A.-based American Apparel, a cereal cafǸ called Cereal Boxx and Time Square Corner Market convenience store are slated to open later this fall.

“”Over the last three years, one of our goals has been to really create a great tenant mix that includes more entertainment,”” McCollum said.

Tucson resident Gallant Rollins was one of the first patrons to have a shot of Middleton Whiskey at the 11 a.m. opening of Auld Dubliner.

“”I’ve been to Dublin several times, and this is as close as I’m going to get without the 10-hour plane ride,”” Rollins said.

Simons, who has been in the restaurant business his whole life, has had success with the three other Auld Dubliner locations in California and Nevada. The newest location went up in three months.

The Auld Dubliner’s dining area has enclosed booths and a meeting area in the back called the “”post office,”” which Simons believes will fit with his and the Marshall Foundation’s goals of providing a diverse community experience, while still keeping with the idea that University Boulevard is primarily for the university.

The Marshall Foundation was established in 1930 and donates 5 percent of its fair market value each year to UA scholarships and other programs. Last year’s donation came out to $800,000.