Police Beat: July 21

DUI’s and bumper stickers

A University of Arizona Police Department officer pulled over a pickup truck a few minutes before midnight on Saturday, July 17 after the driver made a very wide right turn on the corner of Euclid Avenue and Sixth Street.

The officer noted signs that the driver, a UA student, had been drinking, yet she denied it.

The woman refused field sobriety tests and a Tucson Police Department officer was called in to assist with a blood test.

The woman was “”antagonistic and sarcastic”” toward the officers and demanded that the officer repeat why she was stopped. She asked the UAPD officer if he was Republican and then implied that he had pulled her over because of a controversial bumper sticker on her car.

Agitated, the woman also told another officer to “”shut the fuck up.”” The woman was arrested for DUI and then released to her residence.

Juvenile shoplifts from bookstore

A UAPD officer responded to the UofA Bookstore around 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 19 regarding a shoplifter. A 17-year-old incoming UA freshman was observed taking a pair of silver earrings from the bookstore and placing them in her back pocket.

A bookstore employee saw the act on security cameras and confronted the girl when she exited the store. The girl was cooperative and said she didn’t know why she did it, stating she was “”being dumb.””

Her parents were contacted and the officer booked her into the Pima County Juvenile Detention Center until her mother could pick her up.

Job hunting or checking out the local mamacitas?

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested and booked July 16 at 9:30 a.m. for trespassing at the University Services Building after being spotted by an employee. The man had already been cited for trespassing earlier that day.

The man told the employee he needed an application for employment.

The employee said that would be OK but informed him that he would not be able to bring his shopping cart on the property.

When the employee went back into the building, she saw the man sit on the same bench he had been sleeping on earlier that day.

The employee then saw him yell “”Hey mamacita”” to three or four women.  When the employee went to dial 911, the man left the area on foot.

A UAPD officer proceeded to look for the man and found him at Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard.

Wheelchair or not, no drinking in public

A UAPD officer noticed a man in a wheelchair next to the Park Student Union on July 17 holding a brown paper bag with a drink inside. The man then took three sips from the bag.

Upon approach, the officer noticed a strong scent of alcohol accompanying the man and bag, the words “”Steel Reserve”” peeking out the top of the bag.

The man identified himself and when asked if he’d been drinking, said, “”Do you consider one beer drinking?””

The report stated the man was very cooperative, pouring out the drink and being cited and released for drinking in public.