GUEST LETTER: Recreational use of marijuana in Arizona: 2020 voter initiative to legalize “adult-use” cannabis

Carmen Valenica

A view of weed and a pipe on Jan. 19. 

The Arizona Cannabis Chamber of Commerce (ADS: Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services Sept. 29)  is opposed to the current efforts to legalize the  recreational use of marijuana not because of the proven dangers of this drug, but because they want a “piece of the action”, i.e. big money from the recreational sale of this dangerous drug!  A sham!

The marijuana drug Industry and its supporters are recklessly irresponsible regarding the health and safety of Arizona citizens! They either refuse or are incapable of an objective analysis of the fact of marijuana use. 

The marijuana of today is not like the marijuana used in the 70’s and 80’s. Through artificial selection experiments, strains of marijuana have been developed by the marijuana drug industry that substantially increase the potency of the drug.  As such, its’ use poses serious potential consequences.

The Facts:

1). As indicated in a recent federal announcement: “….Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Surgeon General Jerome Adams made the announcement, with Azar calling marijuana “a dangerous drug.” 

https://www.apnews.com/3bfbeecf9c654c76b6037ffb4ec20188

2). Smoking strong pot daily raises psychosis risk, study finds
    “Smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times, according to the biggest-ever study to examine the impact of pot on psychotic disorder rates.”

https://www.apnews.com/4f9b18c6ac0d4cd5a8c5ab85157ce190  

3). “Crashes are up by as much as 6 percent in Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, compared with neighboring states that haven’t legalized marijuana for recreational use,…..The new IIHS-HLDI research  on marijuana and crashes indicates that legalizing marijuana for all uses is having a negative impact on the safety of our roads,” says IIHS-HLDI President David Harkey. “States exploring legalizing marijuana should consider this effect on highway safety….”

Cannabis-derived products presented in new report; one of the most comprehensive studies of recent research on health effects of recreational and therapeutic use of cannabis and cannabis-derived products:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/crashes-rise-in-first-states-to-begin-legalized-retail-sales-of-recreational-marijuana  

SUMMARY: Nearly 100 Conclusions on the Health Effects of Marijuana and

Cannabis-derived products presented in new report; One of the most comprehensive studies of recent research on health effects of recreational and therapeutic use of cannabis and cannabis-derived products: 

https://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=24625

This drug should not be legalized for recreational purposes! Marijuana use for medical purpose only! Supported by scientific evidence, including clinical trials, and regulated by the FDA; closely monitored by the tending physician and state department of health. “Medical marijuana” should be available by prescription only, in a pharmacy, issued by a license physician.

The major consumers of this drug, if legalized for so-called recreational purposes, will be the younger generation; destroying the very fabric/future of our democracy.

Congress should amend the Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. § 811, making marijuana available for FDA approved medical treatment; invalidating all the current state “medical marijuana” programs, including the use of marijuana for so called recreational proposes.

Opinion pieces, guest commentary, letters and online comments do not represent the opinion of the Daily Wildcat.