Police Beat: September 13

Abandon the cycle

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a fellow officer on First Street after a motorcyclist fled from him at 3:25 a.m. on Sept. 3. When the second officer arrived, he made contact with the 19-year-old passenger of the motorcycle, who identified himself with a Nevada driver’s license. His eyes were watery and bloodshot and his breath smelled like alcohol.

A field sobriety test was conducted and the passenger failed all sections of the test before admitting that he had been drinking earlier that night. The passenger said he understood his Miranda Rights, but refused to answer any questions.

The officer cited and released him for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

The driver of the motorcycle was not found.

Beware the oversize tire

A UAPD officer noticed a white Lincoln Town Car with oversized tires speeding as the driver traveled southbound on Campbell Avenue at 11:50 a.m. on Sept. 4. The officer was conducting speed enforcement when he noticed the car, which was traveling at 47 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Once the officer caught up to the vehicle, he conducted a traffic stop. The 30-year-old driver identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. After the UAPD officer collected the driver’s information, the driver explained that because his tires were oversized, his vehicle travels about 5 mph faster than what the officer’s speedometer indicated. He also claimed that he was trying to keep his speed at 40 mph.

A records check confirmed that the driver’s license was currently suspended. The officer charged him with driving on a suspended license and gave him a warning for speeding. He was cited and released and his vehicle was impounded.

I smell the weed

A UAPD officer went to Coronado Residence Hall at 2:55 a.m. on Sept. 3 after a residence assistant reported an odor of marijuana coming from a room on the ninth floor. Once the officer arrived at the scene, he was immediately escorted by the hall’s RAs to the room in question. The RAs explained that they heard loud laughing noises coming from the room along with the strong smell.

The officer knocked on the door and two 18-year-old men answered, claiming to be the residents of the room. When the officer entered the room, he smelled marijuana as well as an odor similar to air freshener products. Three other students were present in the room, but said they had been in the suite next door and were just stopping by.

Both residents claimed they did not have marijuana in their room. When the officer asked to search their room, the residents complied.

The officer opened the refrigerator, which contained two unopened cans of Keystone Light beer.
    One of the residents then showed the officer a rolled .5-gram marijuana joint from the battery compartment of his flashlight. The marijuana and beer belonged to both residents. They had paid $20 for three joints, two of which they had already smoked. They would not reveal who had sold had them the marijuana.

Both residents were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for marijuana possession and given warnings on the consequences of underage drinking.