Man accused of torturing wife for 3 days

Meridian man held his wife captive for three days and tortured her with a club, a baseball bat and a crowbar, a Sutter County Sheriff’s Department official said Tuesday.

Wayne Deniz, 22, a Bridge Street resident, was arrested about 7 p.m. Monday on suspicion of false imprisonment, corporal injury to spouse, criminal threats, assault with a deadly weapon and torture. He was being held without bail in Sutter County Jail.

Deniz, whose nickname was listed as “”Lil Wyno”” on a jail booking sheet, kept the 21-year-old woman in a bedroom, allowing her to leave only to use the bathroom and prepare meals, said Undersheriff Jeff Pierce.

The woman finally was able to escape when Deniz fell asleep. She went to the home of a neighbor, who called the Sheriff’s Department, he said.

The woman suffered bruises but was not hospitalized, Pierce said.

Deniz, who was wanted on a Colusa County warrant for violating probation, was arrested without incident at the home.

The booking sheet listed a previous address for Deniz in the 900 block of Sioc Street in Colusa.

Deniz was a Williams resident in August 2009 when Yuba City police arrested him on suspicion of a weapon violation and criminal street gang activity. The Williams Police Department arrested him in July 2008 on suspicion of grand theft and cruelty to animals.