Sports Briefs

Whitney Myers
    Whitney Myers

Former swimmer Myers nominee for Woman of the Year

Former Arizona swimmer Whitney Myers was named one of 30 nominees for the NCAA Woman of the Year honor Aug. 27.

The nomination comes more than two months after Myers garnered the Pacific 10 Conference Woman of the Year award June 12, which put her in the running for the national honor.

Last season, the co-captain led the women’s team to its second straight Pac-10 title and to a second-place finish at the NCAA Championships in March, winning a national title in the 200-yard individual medley. She also holds 14 school records.

Finalists for the award will be announced later this month, with the winner being revealed Oct. 27 in Indianapolis.

The only Wildcat to win the award was former track and field athlete Tanya Hughes, in 1994.

Golfweek picks women’s golf No. 9

The Arizona women’s golf team was ranked ninth in the country by Golfweek magazine, which announced its top 30 teams yesterday.

This is the team’s second appearance in preseason polls in the past week, as Golf World released its College Coaches’ Poll Aug. 29 with the Wildcats at No. 14 and with junior Alison Walshe as one of the 50 “”Players to Watch”” in 2007-2008.

Similar to Golf World’s poll, Golfweek expects Duke to lead the way next season, with intrastate rival ASU in the No. 2 spot.

The women will start their fall season Sept. 14-16 at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Nashville, Tenn.

– Arizona Daily Wildcat