Albums to look out for in 2016

Official Album Artwork for the last Death Grips album, “The Powers That B: Jenny Death”.

The new year has just begun and 2016 already looks promising – musically, that is. We’re currently experiencing a very exciting moment in music history for many reasons — technology has advanced to the point where we can make music by pushing a few buttons, songs can be shared from all over the world and people are becoming more creative and experimental with their means of creating a tune. 

This year has the potential to be one of the most innovative years in music that we have seen so far. So here’s to 2016, and a sneak peek of what is to come.

Big Names 

These are some of the artists we have come to know and expect new music from. We hear them on the radio all the time and, whether we want to or not, we know most — if not all — of their lyrics. Their songs are catchy, simple and definitely get stuck in your head easily.

Ariana Grande — Relatively new to the pop scene, Grande’s music career has taken off with top hits like “Focus” and “Break Free.”

Christina Aguilera — Aguilera takes on many roles in the entertainment scene, but is mainly recognized by her incredible voice with a never-ending range.

Drake — “Hotline Bling.” That pretty much sums up what you need to know about Drake.

Iggy Azalea — One of the most popular female artists of 2015, Iggy continues to accumulate both fans and fame. 

Nick Jonas — Jonas continues to develop his solo act into 2016.

Alternative/Indie Rock 

This genre seems to be a conglomerate of genres that don’t have specific names. They are thrown together into one genre because no one knows where else to put them. Some of the most experimental or new-age music is classified as alternative, which makes it an exciting genre to follow. 

Ra Ra Riot — The indie-rock band from New York has remained almost dormant for a couple of years, but is making its comeback in 2016. 

Elton John — We all know Elton John and, generally, what to expect from his new album. He is a classic and who knows? Maybe he’ll surprise us.

Gorillaz — Most well-known for their song “Feel Good Inc.” the Gorillaz have an ever-expanding repertoire that ranges from angry to groovy and everything in between. 

Modest Mouse — Over the past 23 years, Modest Mouse has been able to develop its unique sound that’s still easily recognizable today.

Hip Hop/Rap 

Demand for this genre has risen over time and has subsequently exposed some of the music world’s more “underground” or “experimental” artists. Along with some popular artists, more unknown musicians are making themselves heard in 2016.

Kanye West — Famous for more than just his music, West has become quite the celebrity. His new album, Swish, will be released Feb. 11. 

Lupe Fiasco — The rapper’s upcoming album, Drogas, is the first in a series of three. Fiasco claims that the trio of albums will be his last releases. 

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis — This duo has made a name for themselves by being refreshingly different in the music industry. 

Death Grips — The experimental hip-hop group from California has been creating unique songs since 2010. 

Frank Ocean — Talented as a singer, songwriter and rapper, Frank Ocean continues to expand his diverse repertoire — and keep fans waiting for his long-awaited new release.

Electronic

This genre has developed parallel to the development of technology. It is one of the fastest emerging genres and now one of the most common. Found in clubs and other social environments, electronic music has only tapped a fraction of its potential. 

Zeds Dead — Popular for songs like “Lost You” and “Collapse,” Zeds Dead is known for its infectiously danceable songs. 

Flume — Harley Streten, the solo act known as Flume, last released an album in 2012 that became the top album on the ARIA Albums Chart.

Santigold — Santigold’s music is considered electronic, but has heavy influences from punk, reggae and even indie rock. 

AlunaGeorge — Duo Aluna Francis and George Reid  mix elegant vocals and intricate electronic backgrounds to create a laid-back vibe that is easy to listen to. 

Rock

For the sake of simplicity, the general term “rock” will encompass all of its variants, including pop and metal. 

Blink-182 — Very popular in the early 2000s, the American rock band has claimed that it will return to the masses with a new album in 2016.  

Chevelle — The three-piece rock band found success in its platinum-selling album Wonder What’s Next in 2002. The trio plans on releasing a new album toward the beginning of 2016, but hasn’t specified any dates have been set. 

Killswitch Engage — Metal rock band Killswitch Engage has released the title of its upcoming album, set to release in 2016. The name, Incarnate, means “embodied in flesh.”

Metallica — Metallica is hoping to release its heavily anticipated new album in 2016, but there is a chance that the new metal album may be delayed until 2017. 

The Killers — Although the American rock band is currently in the early stages of creating a new album, its members hope to release new music toward the end of 2016. 

There are many artists, old and new, that have big musical plans for 2016. Be sure to look out for the bands you love and dare to listen to something new— it’s going to be a good year.

Follow Thea Van Gorp on Twitter.