A UA sports Halloween

Bret Brielmaier, forward men’s basketball

Wildcat: What’s your personal favorite Halloween costume that you’ve ever worn?
    Brielmaier: I think I went as a girl one year. I was in high school. I had like high heels on, a dress, had a bra stuffed, a big wig, so that was probably my favorite costume.
    W: What was the reaction?
    B: It was a little weird seeing a guy as big as I was in heels, so it was kind of funny. It was a joke type of deal. Me and my buddy just went to a party like that, and it was a good time.
    W: Did anyone ever tell you that you were too old to go trick-or-treating?
    B: My dad, after I turned like 11 or maybe before, he wouldn’t let me go trick-or-treating anymore. He said, ‘That’s for kids. That’s kid stuff.’ After that I never got to go again. I was always bummed. I used to love trick-or-treating.
    W: What are you dressing up as this year?
    B: I don’t know. Kirk (Walters) and I were talking about maybe going as Ketchup and Mustard. I might just go as John Travolta, that’s always a safe bet. Put on some leather pants and a sparkly shirt and knock it out.
    W: If you had to see (head coach) Lute Olson in a costume, what would it be?
    B: A pirate, I’d love to see Coach O as a pirate. I don’t know, I think he’d just look funny, and I’d love to see an eye patch on him.

– Interview by Roman Veytsman

Antoine Cason, cornerback, football

Cason: Oh man, I was Bugs Bunny when I was about seven, I think.
    W: What was the reaction?
    C: You know, I went from door-to-door, people were laughing. Everyone was like ‘Hey!’ It was just a good experience, being somebody – a cartoon character – that you watch on Saturdays. It was hilarious.
    W: So are you planning on being Bugs Bunny again any time soon?
    No, there were too many pictures. I’ve seen enough of those embarrassing pictures.
    W: If you had to pick one costume for coach (Mike) Stoops to wear, what would that be?
    C: An Antoine Cason costume. It would look just like me with a No. 5 jersey on him. And I’d make him walk around campus.
    W: Are you planning on dressing up this year?
    C: You know what, I thought about it, but I don’t know. I may pop out with something a little crazy.
    W: Like what?
    C: (Smiles) I can’t tell you.
    W: Bret Brielmaier and Kirk Walters are going as mustard and ketchup…
    C: Mustard and ketchup? We’ll see. I may go to Target and get something crazy.

– Interview by Ryan Casey

Joy Hollingsworth, guard, women’s basketball

Hollingsworth: Oh my god. You know what? Can I tell you about my costume this year? I’m going to be Curious George, and my friend’s going to be the man in the yellow hat. (laughs) That’s really funny to me.
    W: Oh yeah? How’d you come up with that?
    H: I love Curious George, so I figured let me just be Curious George. I’m going to get some big ears and a tail and a shirt, and he’s going to get a tall yellow hat. I don’t know where he’s going to find one, but we’ll make one. Oh yeah, and a yellow suit. It’s going to be so funny.
    W: So no memorable Halloween costumes as a kid?
    H: I was probably like a – what was I? Oh, I was a bloody doctor, like a surgeon. I had blood all over me, and I had hospital pants.
    W: How’d people react to that?
    H: They thought it was funny. But they didn’t think I was smart enough to be a doctor. Whatever.
    W: Oh no, really? How old were you then?
    H: Oh, I was in high school. I was definitely in high school. Yeah, I’m a big kid.
    W: When was the last time you went trick or treating?
    H: It was two years ago. It was fun.
    W: If (head coach Joan Bonvicini) were to dress up in one costume, what would it be?
    H: (laughs) She’d probably be like an Italian Godmother. Like you know The Godfather? She’d be a Godmother. The Godmother.

– Interview by Ryan Casey

Sam Banister, first baseman, softball

Banister: When I was little, I used to dress up as a football player, and I pretended to be my brother, and I would like run around and hit things. I was like ‘I want to be a football player.’ I put on all his gear and everything. It was really big on me, but I didn’t even care, just as long as I could put the helmet on.
    W: What was the reaction?
    B: They thought it was weird. They always thought I was a little boy in it because I always had really short hair.
    W: When was the last time you went trick-or-treating?
    B: I went home and I went trick-or-treating, and I’m going trick-or-treating this year too.
    B: A bumble bee. I get to wear a tutu and some wings and antennas, so I’m kind of excited about that.
    W: If you had to see (softball head) coach (Mike) Candrea in a costume, what would it be?
    B: Probably a dress or a softball uniform with really tight pants – maybe spandex. Yeah that’s it, probably spandex like a runner, and then a sports bra. That would be funny.

– Interview by Michael Ritter