“On the spot: Juan Brandenburg, computer engineering senior”

So what do you do here at the Office of Student Computing Resources Gear to Go Center?

Basically what we do here is check out equipment for students and faculty. The Gear to Go Center has cameras, iPods, Video and still cameras, SLR’s etc., and even professional gear is for free of charge. So the students that come here and do a little bit of training can check out and fulfill their projects.

That’s fantastic. Have you gotten any crazy stuff back in the returns on the video tapes, or images on the cameras?

Not so far, but back in the past when I used to work earlier we used to have parts missing from the equipment, or sometimes people would return thing late and blame it on car problems or something like that. Nothing too extreme yet, at least in my case.

Any good excuses you’ve heard yet for broken equipment or late returns?

There once was a guy that said his car broke down while on a rock climbing expedition, but he had been in class the day before, the day he said he had been on the trip. So his story was a bit conflicting.

Have you used the equipment yourself at all?

Yes, I have, I’ve used it for a few projects, even for OSCR stuff. It’s pretty cool, you can get high quality capturing from all these cameras and audio recording devices. And there’s even audio recording studio in the (Multimedia Learning Lab) where you can edit your music, and OSCR has all the software you need to digitalize your work and edit it. They also have Final Cut Pro available if you want to edit film to make a movie.