Three ways to win, three ways to lose: Arizona vs. UTSA

Tyler Baker

A large scale tackle is captured at the U of A on Monday, Aug. 14 2013. The main target was Da’Keem Carey, a running back.

Arizona football begins the year ranked No. 22 in the country and opens their season against UTSA at Arizona Stadium tonight at 7. The game will be broadcast live on Pac-12 Networks. Here are three ways the Wildcats will win and three ways that the Wildcats will lose against the Roadrunners.

Three ways to win

Veteran experience

The Wildcats will win on the offensive side with last year’s offensive superstars in quarterback Anu Solomon, receivers Cayleb Jones and Samajie Grant and running back Nick Wilson. After last season’s disappointing finish, the veterans will encourage the rest of the team to start the season off with a win.

David and Goliath

UTSA has only had a football team for five years. Arizona, on the other hand, is a well-known football program. The Wildcats have won the past two meetings against the Roadrunners and will look to do the same again. Yet, UTSA has won all of their season openers over the past four seasons. Larry Coker versus Rich Rodriguez. David versus Goliath. UTSA versus Arizona.

Scooby Snacks

Linebacker Scooby Wright III will make his return after one of the best defensive seasons in Arizona history. If Wright can maintain the momentum that he held last season in which he made game saving tackles and forced fumbles, opponents will not stand a chance. If I were UTSA quarterback Blake Bogenschutz, I might be scared.

Three ways to lose

Overconfidence

Las Vegas has Arizona set as 31 point favorites over UTSA. We all saw last year how quickly things can change, as the Roadrunners could have beat the Wildcats were it not for a late game interception. The Wildcats must not look past their nonconference opponents, especially the Roadrunners who finished the season 4-8 last year.

Psyched out

Arizona football did not finish out the season the way they had planned. Getting crushed against Oregon and losing a heartbreaking battle against Boise State hurts your mojo. With so many returners on the team for the Wildcats, starting off the season with a win against the Roadrunners is imperative. Three losses in a row might just be too detrimental for Arizona.

Starting out flat

With home field advantage, it is important for fans and for the Wildcats’ morale to start the game strong. And by strong, I mean with a two-touchdown lead. Although Rodriguez preaches “60 minutes of Arizona,” starting off the season quickly and focused is important, especially for fans.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.