Police Beat

A sculpture in front of the Meinel Optical Sciences building, 1630 E. University Blvd., was vandalized sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday, reports stated.

The building manager told police the sculpture was intact at 6 p.m. on Tuesday and the damage was found at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

One of the large glass pieces was apparently struck repeatedly until a large chunk of yellow-green glass broke off, reports stated.

There were several pieces of glass around the sculpture, but the large chunk couldn’t be found, reports stated.

Several people had touched the glass, so police were unable to lift any fingerprints.

Police took pictures of the damage and placed them into evidence, reports stated.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

An employee told police someone had used a black marker to draw a picture of a fish on a bathroom stall in the Life Sciences South building, 1007 E. Lowell St.

The employee said the vandalism occurred sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesday.

When police arrived, custodial workers had already cleaned the drawing off the wall, but the employee still wanted to document the incident, reports stated.

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana at 1:36 a.m. Tuesday after police stopped the vehicle he was riding in for not having a taillight, reports stated.

Police were traveling westbound on East University Boulevard approaching North Tyndall Avenue when they attempted to stop the vehicle, reports stated.

The vehicle signaled a right turn and began pulling over towards the curb then continued westbound past North Tyndall Avenue for about a block, reports stated.

The vehicle finally backed into a parking space on the north side of East University Boulevard.

The driver of the vehicle didn’t have his license with him and was given a verbal warning, reports stated.

A records check on the passenger showed four warrants for his arrest, reports stated.

The warrants were confirmed and the man was placed under arrest.

While searching the man, police found 4.6 grams of marijuana in a plastic baggie in the man’s front pocket, reports stated.

Police also found a burnt marijuana cigarette in his right back pocket and two rolling papers in his right front pocket, reports stated.

The man was transported and booked at Pima County Jail, reports stated.

The driver was given a warning for the equipment violation.

A student’s $400 CD player was stolen from his vehicle sometime Wednesday while it was parked at 520 N. Euclid Ave., reports stated.

The student told police he had parked and locked his vehicle at 9:45 a.m. and when he returned at 4 p.m. he saw his vehicle had been broken into.

Both of the door handles had been pried apart from the door and the dashboard was broken, reports stated.

Police located three Mexican pesos on the ground next to the vehicle and booked them into evidence, reports stated.

A set of five keys on a key ring was found at 12:52 p.m. Wednesday outside of the BioSciences West building, 1041 E. Lowell St., reports stated.

The keys and key ring were not marked with any information that could be used to identify the owner, report stated.

The keys were placed into property for safekeeping, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.