“On the spot: Lyndah Anderson, English freshman”

So you’re from El Paso, Texas. Why did you choose to come to Arizona for college?

There’s actually many reasons that I chose to come to Arizona. Probably the main one was I’m an English major and the English department is really good here and it’s like perfect weather here. And I just wanted to get out of Texas and leave that stuff behind. Oh, and the basketball team here.

So you’ve been living here for a little while now. What are your first thoughts on the campus?

I love the campus. It’s so beautiful, just walking up and down the campus. One of my roommates, she lives in Tucson so she was kind of showing us around everywhere. It’s so pretty, all the green and all the pretty buildings and how no building is the exact same shape as any other. It’s really cool.

Do you know your roommates?

No.

Are they kind of weirdos?

No, they’re all really cool. I got placed into temp housing so I have four roommates, but all of them are really cool. Two of them are my new best friends. We have so much in common it’s ridiculous. I’m kind of glad I got thrown into that situation.

So how many credit hours are you taking?

I’m taking 13.

What class are you dreading the most?

Probably Spanish.

Why Spanish?

I’m half Mexican so I know Spanish, but the Spanish that me and my family speak is Spanglish, pretty much. So I’m dreading that because I’m actually going to have to get things correct instead of just making up my own phrases and random nonsense.