Fast Facts

• There are only three capital cities in the U.S. whose names begin with the same letter as their state: Oklahoma City, Okla., Dover, Del., and Indianapolis, Ind.
  • A barnacle has the largest penis of any other animal in relation to its size.
  • Ninety-three percent of all greeting card purchases are made by women.
  • Wite-Out was invented by Bette Nesmith Graham, who is the mother of Michael Nesmith from the pop group The Monkees.
  • The average person in the U.S. uses 57 sheets of toilet paper each day.
  • People in Salt Lake City consume more lime-flavored Jell-O than anywhere else in the U.S.
  • An office desk contains about 400 times more bacteria than a toilet.
  • A jiffy is an actual measurement of time, standing for one-hundredth of a second.
  • Thomas Watson, who was the chairman of IBM in 1943, predicted that there would probably only be a world market for five computers.
  • Ninety-five percent of the entire lemon crop produced in the U.S. is from California and Arizona.
  • Consumer studies indicate that people living on the East Coast prefer creamy peanut butter, while people living on the West Coast prefer chunky peanut butter.
  • After the U.S. Civil War, about 33 to 50 percent of all U.S. paper currency in circulation was counterfeit.
  • In 1983, a Japanese artist, Tadahiko Ogawa, made a copy of the Mona Lisa completely out of ordinary toast.
  • The expression “”tying the knot”” comes from an old Roman custom in which the bride’s clothes were tied up all in knots and the groom was supposed to untie the knots.