Campus collision lands 3 in hospital

A family of three was struck by a vehicle while crossing the intersection of Mountain Avenue and Helen Street at 7:33 p.m. Sunday night.

All three family members, including a 31-year-old man, his 29-year-old wife and their 7-month-old daughter, were immediately rushed to University Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. The man was released last night.

The 21-year-old male driver, whose name and UA student status have not been released, was driving south on Mountain Avenue in a Honda Pilot SUV.

“”The father was released last night with lacerations on his head,”” said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco of the Tucson Police Department. “”The mother and 7-month-old are expected to live.””

The 7-month-old sustained a broken femur and head injuries, and the 29-year-old wife sustained head injuries as well, Pacheco said.

The name of the driver will not be released until a citation has been issued, and due to on-going investigations regarding potential inebriation or intoxication, a citation will not be issued until a toxicology report is released in the next few days, Pacheco said.

Details on the collision and those involved will be released as information is made available.