Police Beat: Dec. 7

Speeder cited for cruising on suspended license

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near the intersection of Eighth Street and Campbell Avenue on Nov. 27 at noon when they observed a Cadillac traveling northbound on Campbell Avenue at a high speed. Officers confirmed the vehicle’s speed at 48 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Police initiated a traffic stop and made contact with the driver, who verbally identified himself. A records check revealed that the man’s Arizona driver’s license was suspended and the vehicle’s registration was suspended for failure to provide proof of financial responsibility. The records check also revealed that the driver had four outstanding warrants issued by the Tucson Police Department.

He was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license, speeding, failure to display current registration and displaying suspended license plates. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound.

Police hit jackpot with random registration check

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue on Nov. 28 at 9:02 a.m. when they performed a random registration check on a Ford sedan and discovered the vehicle’s license plates to be suspended. Officers initiated a traffic stop at Eighth Street and Campbell Avenue and made contact with the driver who identified himself with a Texas driver’s license. Officers saw a woman in the passenger seat and two more women in the back seat.

Dispatch notified officers that the driver had a suspended Arizona driver’s license and an outstanding warrant issued by the Pima County Sherriff’s Office. A check of the woman in the passenger seat revealed a felony warrant, also issued by the Pima County Sherriff’s Office.

During a search of the vehicle, officers recovered a brown Louis Vuitton box that contained multiple pieces of drug paraphernalia, including four glass pipes, two straws, a box and a vial all containing a white, powdery substance.

The front seat passenger told police, “”(The) only drugs in the car is in that box.”” A search of her person revealed prescription drugs for which the woman had no prescription. She was cited on three charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and was placed under arrest for the outstanding warrant.

The driver was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license, displaying suspended license plates, failure to display current registration and two counts of failure to provide lap and/or shoulder belts for the two passengers in the rear seat. He was placed under arrest for the outstanding warrant.

Both the driver and front seat passenger were transported to Pima County Jail where they were booked. The two rear seat passengers were released on scene. The Ford sedan was impounded for a mandatory 30-day period.

Extremely drunk driver hits curb, gets trip to jail

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of Park Avenue and Second Street on Nov. 29 at 12:12 a.m. when they observed a silver station wagon traveling northbound on Park Avenue with no headlights on. Officers watched as the vehicle then proceeded through the intersection of Park Avenue and Second Street without stopping for the posted stop sign.

Officers activated their emergency lights and sirens but the vehicle continued to travel northbound on Park Avenue. Officers continued to follow the vehicle as it made a right turn onto Speedway Boulevard and abruptly stopped, striking the curb.

Police had to direct the driver to pull into the bus lane in order to avoid interfering with traffic. Officers made contact with the driver, who identified himself with a California driver’s license. Upon contact, officers could detect the strong odor of intoxicants coming from the man’s mouth as he spoke. They also observed that he had bloodshot eyes and slow, slurred speech, and that he seemed disoriented and confused.

Officers asked the man if he had consumed any alcohol that evening and he replied, “”Yes, I had some drinks a while ago.”” The man agreed to field sobriety tests and based upon their observations, officers placed the man under arrest for driving under the influence.

He was transported to the UAPD station where a breathalyzer confirmed the man’s blood alcohol content between .242 and .243. He was cited on charges of DUI – slightest degree, DUI – BAC above .08, extreme DUI – BAC above .15, failure to stop for a stop sign, and driving without headlights after sunset. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and he was released at the UAPD station after a taxicab was dispatched to take him home.

Back-door bolt botched at local café

UAPD officers were inside the Espresso Art Café at 942 E. University Blvd. on Nov. 29 at 1:24 p.m. when they observed a man matching the description of a subject who was wanted for questioning by the Pima County Sherriff’s Office. The man attempted to exit out of the back of the café but officers were able to make contact with him. He identified himself with a Georgia driver’s license and a records check revealed that the man had an outstanding warrant issued by UAPD and two outstanding warrants issued by the Tucson Police Department, all for failure to appear on shoplifting charges. UAPD officers placed the man under arrest and notified the Pima County Sherriff’s Office. A detective was dispatched to question the man in reference to a burglary. When the detective was done questioning the man, UAPD officers transported the man to Pima County Jail where he was booked.