Men’s golf hopes to keep momentum going

After a second-place finish at the Wolf Pack Classic in Reno, a few weeks ago, the Arizona men’s golf team will try to improve its progress it heads to the Isleworth-UCF Collegiate Invitational in Orlando, Fla. The three-day, 54-hole tournament starts Sunday and will be held at the Isleworth Country Club, a course that three of the starting five players have played in the past.

“”We expect to win the tournament,”” said assistant coach Andy Barnes. “”Every time we go out there we expect to win.””

The Wildcats will send out their normal starting five with sophomores Tarquin MacMannus, Roberto Galletti, and Jonathan Khan, junior Bradley Nicholson and senior Tyler Neal. MacMannus is coming off of a tournament in which he shot a school record 64 in the final round of the tournament, good enough for a 7 under par.

“”We expect him to have another big tournament, but hopefully this time we will get everyone behind him,”” Barnes said.

Traveling to Florida could be a tough trip for the team, which will be competing in the 18-team field. But with experience on their side, Barnes said there is no question that the Wildcats will put up a fight.

“”We’ve got three guys who have played here before,”” Barnes said. “”They didn’t play too well last year, but with some experience, hopefully they have learned and will play better.””