Icecats sweep Rebels in Vegas

The Arizona club hockey team scored big in Las Vegas over the weekend, as they swept Las Vegas-Nevada.

Sophomore goalie Nick Boddy started on Saturday night as the Icecats won a close one, 4-3, behind his 16 saves on 19 shots, after junior goalie Luke Edwall led the squad to a 6-2 win on Friday.

Sophomore right wing Robbie Nowinski, freshman Austin Capobianco, senior defenseman Evan Marro and sophomore center Cody Marin all scored goals Saturday in a game plagued by penalties. There were 30 penalties called, 15 for each team.

The new rule change of not allowing grabbing and shoving in the neutral zone affected both teams, as Marro led the Icecats with 20 penalty minutes in both games.

“”The new rules really affected the game,”” Golembiewski said. Golembieswki said that most of the penalties against the defense were from laziness more than the rule change, though.

With junior goalie Luke Edwall in goal on Friday, the Icecats won comfortably, as Edwall had an excellent night with 21 saves on 23 chances.

The Icecats took a lead 2-1 in the first period and dominated in the third, outscoring the Rebels 4-1.

Four different players scored for the Icecats in the game.

Freshman defenseman Zach Sampson scored his first goal as an Icecat, and senior right wing Bryan Meagher and junior co-captain Craig Irwin both scored two goals apiece. Junior defenseman Max Sliwinski also added a goal.

Despite dictating the game, the Icecats felt they didn’t play to the level they are capable of playing.

“”I was not real pleased with the first night,”” Golembiewski said.

The Icecats will come back to Tucson for the week before leaving for Ohio to play in the Ohio Showcase, where they will open the tournament against Mercy Hearst.

Golembiewski said he will expect maximum effort for the players in preparation for next weekend.

“”The way you practice is the way you play,”” he said.