Police beat: June 16

Clogged toilets, overturned cacti plague UA cardiologists

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call from the Sarver Heart Center on Thursday morning in reference to a report of an unknown person(s) who had gained entry to the fourth floor arthritis lab in the middle of the night.

When housekeeping arrived early Thursday morning, they found that the intruder had left a sink on in the break room with the spout over the counter, causing the break room and the hallway to flood.

Intruders with a bent for plumbing sabotage in the middle of the night have become a persistent problem in the building. On Monday morning, employees arrived to find that the men’s toilets had been clogged and a cactus had been tipped over, and on Tuesday “”the toilet was clogged so bad a plumber had to respond out,”” according to the police report.

Cardiology employees believe the intruder(s) gained entry between 6:30 p.m. and 3 a.m., when housekeeping arrives, and they have requested hourly checks from UAPD.

UA fan’s 21st birthday plans dampened by sign stealing attempt

A UAPD officer conducting a safety check near the Cherry Garage on Thursday at 2:16 a.m. noticed a slow-moving pickup truck with two passengers in the cab and a third man in the bed pull up to the curb at the northeast corner of East Enke Drive and North Cherry Drive.

The officer watched as the man in the bed stood up and removed a metal street sign. The vehicle’s description and the circumstances of the theft were radioed to other responding police units in the area, and the vehicle was apprehended at East Fourth Street and North Vine Avenue.

After the sign was reclaimed from the bed of the truck, the passengers, who were self-proclaimed “”big U of A fans,”” explained that “”they were just being stupid and they wanted a sign with the UA letter ‘A’ on it.””

Officers observed three 44-ounce Circle K styrofoam cups in the passenger compartment of the vehicle contained soft drinks and smelled of intoxicants. One passenger, whose breath reportedly smelled of intoxicants, said he had been drinking that night and then quickly followed up by saying he doesn’t drink. The other passenger informed the officer that he had been drinking and then added that “”this sucks”” because he was a few days from turning 21.

The driver was arrested for theft and possession of an open container in a vehicle and both passengers were arrested for theft and underage drinking. One passenger was also found to have an active warrant out for a previous liquor violation. All three were booked into Pima County jail. The passenger with the outstanding warrant was to celebrate his 21st birthday on June 15.

Someone loves you, Nena Mary

A UAPD officer responded Friday to a report of intentional vandalism at the corner of Sixth Street and North Martin Avenue.

A UA employee at the scene stated that at some time in the night an unknown vandal had damaged a newly installed curb segment.

Upon inspecting the curb, the officer found a 3-foot-by-1-foot etching that read “”I Love You Nena Mary.”” The etching was written in capital block print letters and was reportedly “”not unique in nature.”” According to the UA employee, it had likely been etched when the newly installed concrete was already mostly solid, implying a certain amount of engraving proficiency on the part of the vandal.

At this time, there are no suspects, witnesses or pertinent evidence regarding this latest bid for Mary’s affection.

Stolen library book traced back to chronic book lender

A UAPD officer responded to a call Wednesday afternoon from the Main Library in reference to an unknown female who had been found with a stolen book belonging to the library.

A library employee explained to the officer that an unidentified female set off the book alarm at the main doors earlier in the afternoon. The employee asked the girl if she had any library books and she replied that she did not, only a book that a friend had lent her.

Upon examining the book, a copy of “”Landscape Architecture Graphic Standards”” by Leonard J. Hopper, the employee noticed that the book carried the stamp of the UA library and had a sticky residue where the call number would be on the spine and where the barcode label would be on the inside cover.

The employee then saw that the book was listed as missing in the library computer system and reclaimed it. The unidentified female said she needed to return the book to the friend who had loaned it to her, to which the employee replied that the friend could contact the employee directly if she had any questions. The girl then left the building.

The employee did not obtain any contact information for the girl in question but she found papers belonging to another girl inside the book, including information on her name and address. The officer found and identified the girl at her home, and she told him she had lent “”at least 10″” of her books out to friends but that she wasn’t sure which book he was referring to or which friend had it. She then said that if she could see a photo of the girl in question she could identify her. The officer informed her that he would return when he had a photo.

— Eli MacKinnon