Men’s tennis cruises past San Francisco

San Francisco entered Tucson on Saturday winless and left in very much the same condition.

Arizona opened the match in dominant fashion, with duos of Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco and Jay Goldman and Ola Bakke clinching the doubles point.

“”We had to be really careful because we all knew they hadn’t won a match,”” Carrasco said. “”Our coaches tell us not to have too much confidence and feel like we are playing a top team like we do every time.””

The Wildcats remained in control of the singles matches, during which a succession of Arizona victories elapsed. In the No. 1 position, Goldman took down the Don’s Tommy Tu 6-3, 7-6, 7-3. Last week’s Pac-10 Player of the Week, Arango sealed the overall match with his 6-4, 6-2 win against Asaf Cohen. Ravid Hazi defeated Karill Karchmit 6-1, 6-1. Carrasco beat Rainer Nachbauer 6-2, 6-2.

“”We knew we were better than the other team. We showed up with energy, the same as the other weekends,”” Carrasco said.

Freshmen Jason Zafiros and Bakke also took care of their opponents handily, although Zafiros did drop his first set to Einar Hart and ended a twelve-set winning streak. In the end, however, the point for the match was ultimately his.

With the win, the Wildcats improved to a 6-1 season. In what Carrasco referred to as “”the biggest weekend up until now,”” they will take on San Diego next Friday at home at 1 p.m.

“”We have to use everything – the altitude, everything – to beat these teams at home,””

Carrasco said. “”We have to be so careful and give 100 percent.””