CC prepares for toughest test of the season

This weekend, as the Arizona men’s and women’s cross country teams head eastward to Terre Haute, Ind., they will be facing their toughest event to date – the Pre-NCAA Invitational.

Most of the top collegiate programs will be there, including most of the top programs in the Pacific 10 Conference. The 64-team field in both events will be the largest set of competition that either team has competed in.

“”This will be a good way to gain experience,”” said UA head coach James Li. “”This is a very big race and will give our athletes invaluable experience.””

Li hopes that the women – who have been led all season by the juniors Irine Lagat and Marissa Urban, and freshman Maggie Callahan – can continue their consistency and look for improvement for his fourth and fifth runners.

“”I would like to see (senior) Angelina (Cabrera) and (sophomore) Shelly (Splittberger) move up, and finish closer to the top three,”” he said.

As for the men’s side, Li hopes that they can continue the results that they have had all season.

“”We have a very young group,”” Li said. “”I don’t have any specific places in mind, but I will be able to tell if they are running well.

“”It will be great experience,”” he added. “”This is a large field, and it will be good for them to compete against many of the top runners (in the nation).””

Even though most of the Pac-10 schools will be in Terre Haute, Li doesn’t think that it will be a preview of the Pac-10 Championships in two weeks.

“”That’s in two weeks and a lot could change before then,”” he said.