Police Beat

Two women were arrested for underage drinking after police found them passed out in a car near North Mountain Avenue and East First Street at 10:35 p.m. Saturday.

Both women had the strong odor of intoxicants on their breath, slurred speech and bloodshot eyes. They also swayed back and forth.

One of the women told officers, “”Yeah, I was drinking, but I won’t tell you where,”” and the other said, “”Yes, I was drinking some beer and something else,”” according to reports. One of the women failed to blow into the Breathalyzer three times, but the other woman registered a blood-alcohol content of .120.

The legal limit is 0.80.

They were cited and released outside the Pi Beta Phi sorority house, 1035 N. Mountain Ave.

A female resident of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., was found lying beside the building intoxicated at 9:11 p.m. Saturday.

When a University of Arizona Police Department officer arrived, a Tucson Fire Department truck and a medic were at the scene. They determined the woman did not need to be transported to a hospital. The woman had a hard time staying in a seated position and had to be held up by a friend.

The officer asked the woman what happened that night. She said she had not wanted to drink when she went to a sorority date dash at an undisclosed location. She said she “”felt like I had to drink, cause that’s all they do is drink, and in order to become a member, you have to drink,”” according to reports.

She admitted to having several shots of hard liquor from a glass. She would not tell the officer the name of the sorority.

She was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking.

A resident of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., was arrested for marijuana possession at 1:15 p.m. Friday.

Police responded to the residence hall on reports of the smell of marijuana coming from a room on the sixth floor. Officers contacted the resident of the room, and as they entered they could smell the scent of fresh marijuana.

The resident told the officers he “”was nervous,”” and when asked if he had any marijuana in the room, he said, “”I have not smoked in here,”” according to reports. The resident told the officers there was marijuana in the room but told them “”you can look”” when they asked where, according to reports.

The officers found a plastic bag containing a green, leafy substance in the top drawer of the resident’s desk. The resident said that it was his marijuana.

He was cited and released at the scene.

Five men were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for marijuana possession and underage drinking Friday.

Police stopped a black BMW containing the men at the intersection of East Second Street and North Mountain Avenue after following the car for a while and smelling burnt marijuana.

The driver told officers he was on his way to drop off his friends at the train station for their train to Los Angeles. The driver admitted to being a marijuana user but said he did not have any narcotics on him.

An officer talked with the other four men, and they all said they had not smoked in the car and had no narcotics on them.

One of the men had red, watery and bloodshot eyes, and police asked if he had consumed any alcohol. The man, who admitted he was 19 years old, said that earlier he drank a 40-ounce bottle of Old English beer.

A Tucson Police Department K-9 unit arrived and immediately found marijuana on the floor behind the driver’s seat, later finding more marijuana hidden between the cushions of the front passenger seat. None of the men admitted to owning the marijuana.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.