‘Love is a four-legged word’

Rebecca Noble

Puppy love (noun). Definition: That feeling you get when you see each other for the first time; the enveloped warmth that cuddling them brings; the depression you sink into when they aren’t around or have gone missing; that time they stayed by your side, sleeping right by you even though you were a complete mess and everything was falling apart. From the moment your relationship started, they were loyal only to you. They take a vow that until the day they die they will remain by your side, devoted to the happiness of your life. From the moment eye contact was made, their eyes lit up and you both fell in love. Somehow their fluffiness got to you, intoxicated you, and then that was it: You were doggone in love.

Though Valentine’s Day typically celebrates the love between people and their human partners, the Pima Animal Care Center is holding an adoption event to coincide with the holiday of love in order to find the perfect match for people and their animal partners. 

The PACC will have free adoptions through PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend this Friday to Sunday. You can meet your “significant ruffer” at the PetSmart on Irvington Road near the Interstate 19 where dogs will be adoptable, or greet your “Meowentine” at the PetSmart on Oracle and Wetmore roads, where the kittens will be.

All adoption fees are sponsored by PetSmart Charities, which donated a generous $4,250 to PACC. Owners will still be charged a $15 licensing fee when adopting an animal.

The PACC’s adoption event is only one of many pet adoptions to celebrate the holiday throughout the nation. Pet adoption services in New York, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, among others, are all hoping to give a pet a home and, in doing so, give a human some love.

Though adopting a pet is a serious responsibility that might be too large for college students, this doesn’t mean that you can’t be their valentine.

“A lot of students might not be in the right place to adopt a furry valentine, but you can still be a homeless pet’s valentine and bring a gift to our shelter,” said Karen Hollish, the PACC’s development director. 

Forget the chocolate and bring a squeaky toy for a pup or washable cat toy for a kitten. Hollish said there are many more opportunities for students to show their love and compassion for animals.

“Even if you can’t adopt, you can help us through philanthropy,” Hollish said.

People can donate money or find their wish list on the Pima County website. Hollish specified that students can interact with animals and help PACC through volunteering. Volunteer positions range from dog walking and bottle-feeding to fostering animals in need. Everyone is welcome this weekend to bring gifts, give donations and potentially adopt.

Whether it’s adopting the love of your life or bringing a gift to a lovable creature, Valentine’s Day is about giving love. Love is better furry. After all, “love is a four-legged word,” which is why the sweetest kisses are licks and the warmest hearts have paws. 

Happy Valentine’s Day to all creatures that love.

_______________

Follow Victoria Teplitz on Twitter.