Police Beat: Nov. 29

Cops can’t confirm theft, car in California

A student reported stolen items from his car on Nov. 18.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer called the student and the student said that he had parked his car in the parking lot of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house on Nov. 10, at 11 p.m. He locked it and left.

When he returned the next morning at 11:30 a.m., he found that his trunk was open and its lock was pushed forward. He was missing a subwoofer, two J. Crew dress shirts, a gym bag, athletic shoes, athletic clothing, a suit jacket, an iPod shuffle, a Canon digital camera and an XBox. The total estimated value of all the items taken from his trunk is $1,650.

The student stated that he was already back in California and had taken his car with him, therefore the officer could not inspect the vehicle. The student explained that he waited to report the incident because he did not have a lot of spare time last week. There are no suspects, witnesses or evidence at this time.

Moneybag found

A UAPD officer went to the Hopi Lodge Residence Hall after the desk manager reported that a moneybag had been turned in on Nov. 15.

The officer took custody of the moneybag. It was a beige canvas 12–by-16 square inch bag and contained $8 in assorted bills and change. The bag was marked

“”Tomdra Vending of Tucson, Arizona #7705″” on the front.

The student said that a resident had turned in the moneybag, but did not leave any name or contact information. The officer took the moneybag and logged it into property and evidence for safekeeping. Tomdra Inc. was called and advised that the bag was found.

It’s my roommate’s, I swear

An officer went to a residence hall on Nov. 15 after receiving notice of the smell of marijuana coming from a room. The officer was also able to smell the strong odor of marijuana upon arrival. He knocked on the door of the residents, but nobody answered. As the officer was about to leave, one of the residents was coming back from the laundry room downstairs. The officer spoke to him and a friend that was with him at the time. He asked if they could talk in his dorm room, but the student said he would rather talk in the hallway.

The resident said that he didn’t have any marijuana in the room, and that he hadn’t smoked since high school. The officer asked if he would allow him to go inside his room to see if there was any marijuana and the student agreed. He showed the officer his side of the room and gave consent to look through his area including his desk and sleeping area. The officer found a baggie on top of his desk with a small amount of green leafy substance that resembled marijuana.

The student said that he had been in Phoenix for the weekend and was not sure when the bag was placed on his desk. He did not show any signs of marijuana use.

The officer confiscated the bag. He left the room and advised the two men that he would be returning later to speak to the other roommates. A field test revealed that the green substance was marijuana.

The officer returned to the room at 9 p.m. to speak to the other roommates. The officer showed the roommate the baggie he had confiscated from their room earlier. As soon as he saw the baggie, he sighed and asked if he could just tell the officer where the bag came from. He admitted he had smoked the marijuana with some friends over a week ago. When they had finished smoking it, he pulled the empty baggie out and threw it on his roommate’s desk. He was diverted to the Dean of Students Office.