Yell Cats to help heckle opponents

Fans cheer from the student section during last Marchs 70-67 loss to Washington in McKale Center. Arizonas student government has created a group of yell leaders to organize chants and line up in front of the opponents team bus.
    Fans cheer from the student section during last March’s 70-67 loss to Washington in McKale Center. Arizona’s student government has created a group of yell leaders to organize chants and line up in front of the opponents’ team bus.

The Arizona student government has created a new student cheer group called the Yell Cats in an effort to better coordinate cheers in the Zona Zoo student section.

Several students will be chosen to use bullhorns to bring organization to the student section.

Zona Zoo director Michael Huston said he believes the new group will be more effective at energizing and coordinating the student section at men’s basketball games than its predecessor, the now defunct Zona Zoo keepers .

“”The way we’ve done it (in the past) was not conducive to getting the whole section on the same page,”” Huston said.

As a result, the Zona Zoo keepers grew into the Yell Cats.

He cited the fact that the entire student section was rarely in unison, with only students at the front able to follow the Zona Zoo keepers’ lead. He said that will change this year.

In addition to their crowd-energizing responsibilities, the Yell Cats will be assisting with the ticketing process and other related tasks.

ASUA is accepting applications until Friday at 3 p.m. and will then conduct interviews to determine which students will be part of the Yell Cats. Applications can be picked up at the ASUA office on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center.