Not your typical jock

Not your typical jock

With his athletic build, it would be easy to pigeonhole Drew Manusharow as a typical jock. And while knowing that he is a member of the UA men’s volleyball team might further that perception, learning about this student’s artistic ability would crush any stereotype about him.

Manusharow, a studio art senior who works in both design and illustration, cannot pinpoint a moment when he decided that he wanted to pursue his artistic abilities.

“”I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do, but I knew I had a talent,”” Manusharow said. “”I kind of just fell into it. My dad was a very creative illustrator but never really got into it. I think that’s where I got my talent from.””

Being an artist does usually call for good genes as well as some inspiration from others, which Manusharow credits to his professors at the UA. Manusharow cites two visual communications professors, David Christiana and Jackson Boelts, as sources of inspiration.

“”I admire what (Boelts) has done and the way he teaches,”” Manusharow said.

Now with graduation day rolling around the corner, Manusharow looks to what his future holds. Although he has contemplated going to Europe to play volleyball, he is leaning more toward starting his career in art.

“”It’s time to close that chapter in my life,”” Manusharow said. “”I want to focus on the more mature aspects of my life.””

And while Manusharow is preparing his portfolio and resume for his venture into the career world, he can add a recent achievement to the list. Manusharow won the UApresents cover contest.

As the campus host for performing companies that come from the U.S. and abroad, UApresents has always had corporations design the cover for their brochures used for promotional purposes. For its 2006-2007 season, however, the organization decided to open the opportunity up to students here at the UA, making Manusharow the first student to win the competition.

“”They came to us saying they are looking for an illustration that depicts creative energy,”” Manusharow said. “”I just tried to think about what can I possibly depict to get a whole understanding. (UApresents) wanted to get a Tucsonan feeling but at the same time a worldly one.””

Manusharow’s winning piece is a mixed-media work depicting the Tucson skyline with a combination of images that represent the various types of performing arts that UApresents promotes.

“”It worked out really well, the colors just flowed, I loved it,”” Manusharow said. “”The whole feeling of the piece was very energetic. I wanted people to walk by and say, ‘what is this?’ That was my whole goal, to get people’s attention.””