Country Thunder Do’s and Don’ts

Allen J. Schaben
    Miranda Lambert performs during the Stagecoach Country Music Festival in Indio, California, on April 28, 2012. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

For all you country music fanatics, the weekend that’s caused you to lose sleep, mentally check out from class and shed a tear in anticipation is finally here. With big-name artists such as Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert taking the stage, this year’s Country Thunder Music Festival promises a hell-raising weekend.

For some, you have religiously attended Country Thunder for what feels like decades; you know the work that goes into making this weekend your springtime highlight.

As for you Country Thunder virgins, we have here a survival pack for the weekend. Here are the do’s and don’ts of Country Thunder that will guarantee you have a memorable and crisis-free weekend.
    Do not — procrastinate on setting up your campsite. What is more frustrating than pitch a camping tent? Pitching one at nighttime with little to no light source.

Do — strategically plan out your meals. Assign breakfast, lunch and dinner individually for each of the days to avoid over- or under-packing. Be sure to have enough coolers at your campsite to keep the food from spoiling.

Do not — think that Country Thunder is an event to show off your glamorous Taylor Swift white dresses and fresh button ups. By the end of the first day every inch of you will be covered in dust and sweat, and the truth is, you would rather stay in this condition than risk disease in the public showers.

Do — use the buddy system. Campsites can be confusing and after a beer or maybe six, all hope for returning to your group may be lost. There is no “I” at Country Thunder, only “we.”
    Do not — forget to drink water. Starting your days early and continuing through the evening performances can catch up to you quickly. Hydrate with water, among your other beverages of choice.

Do — rent a portable toilet for your campsite. This will truly be the oasis in the desert for you and your friends. Renting one will save you from long treks in the middle of the night and from whatever disasters might await you in public restrooms.
    Do not — blast your rap music at your campsite. Kanye West and Jay Z have never and will never mix well with Eric Church and Jake Owen.

Do — attend every performance you can. You do not want to feel as though you missed out on any experience Country Thunder has to offer.

Finally, do feel free to scream, dance, lose your mind and possibly cry when your favorite artist takes the stage. Remember that almost anything is socially acceptable at Country Thunder. So with your survival pack now in tow, in the words of Aldean, “Let’s get this thing started, it’s my kind of party.”