Police Beat: Sept. 23

Hit and run leaves Geo Prizm damaged

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to Lot 7103 at 425 N. Fremont on Sept. 13 at 9:34 p.m. in reference to a hit and run. Upon arrival, officers made contact with a man who claimed that he had parked his Geo Prizm in Lot 5078 on Sept. 11 and when he returned on Sept. 13 at 9:25 p.m. to move his vehicle to Lot 7103, he noticed damage to the driver’s side front fender of his vehicle. The man told police he wished to press charges if any suspects were found. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Girl reported missing, is found, then lost again

UAPD officers received a telephone call from a concerned mother on Sept. 13 at 12:06 a.m. in reference to a request for a welfare check. According to police, a woman called and claimed that she had received a telephone call from her daughter, who was using an unidentified cell phone and calling from the Auld Dubliner on University Boulevard. The woman claimed that her daughter sounded extremely intoxicated and she was concerned for her safety. Officers spoke to an employee of the Auld Dubliner who was able to provide a description of the girl. Officers found a man and a woman walking on campus. The woman matched the description of the missing girl, but when police contacted the woman she claimed she was not the person police were looking for. Police then went to the girl’s residence hall, where they again made contact with the girl who claimed to not be the missing daughter. Officers met with the girl’s roommate, who confirmed the girl’s description and told police the girl had just been there but had left with her boyfriend. At 6:25 a.m., officers received a telephone call from the concerned mother who reported that her daughter had called a few hours earlier to report that she was safely back in her dorm room. Officers advised the woman to warn her daughter against failing to identify herself to police and reminded her that UAPD had spent several hours searching for the girl for what was apparently no reason at all.

Partygoers in residence hall refuses to let police attend

UAPD officers responded to the Cochise Residence Hall on Sept. 15 at 12:10 a.m. in reference to a report from a resident assistant that several people were seen entering a room from which the odor of marijuana had been detected. Upon arrival, officers met with the RA who led them to the room where the odor was allegedly coming from. Officers also detected the odor of marijuana and knocked several times to make contact with the occupants. Officers could hear movement in the room, as well as talking and laughter. Police waited outside the room for several moments but were unable to make contact with any of the individuals in the room. Officers advised the RA to contact police if there were any more issues with any occupants of the room.

Indecisive shopper gets cited at the bookstore

UAPD officers were dispatched to the UofA Bookstore on Sept. 15 at 12:15 p.m. in reference to a report of criminal damage. Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who led police to a conference room where security employees had a man in custody. According to security personnel, the subject had been inside the store when he opened a package containing a graphing compass. The man then put the compass back into the package and returned it to the shelf, at which point he attempted to leave the area. According to the man, he was enrolled in a class that required him to purchase a graphing compass. He admitted to opening the package to ensure that it was the compass he needed for his class. After inspecting the compass, the man decided that he did not want to purchase it, so he put it back in the package and put it back on the shelf. He then started to walk downstairs to purchase some books, at which time security escorted him to the conference room. Bookstore employees gave police a copy of the surveillance footage of the incident as well as a receipt showing the value of the compass as $6.89. The man was cited on charges of criminal damage of less than $250 and was released on scene.