“On the Spot: Sarah Blakeley, pre-communication and military science & leadership junior”

Tell me about your uniform and what branch of military you are in.

I am in the Army. This uniform is called the ECU (Elite Combat Uniform), and probably the best thing about my uniform is that I have my Airborne wings.

And what are those?

It means I successfully completed U.S. Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia. I did five jumps — three being combat jumps, two being Hollywood jumps.

So pretty much you are the baddest chick on this campus.

No.

Tell me a little about the chants you have to perform today on the Mall or what’s going on with that?

OK, it’s called drill and ceremony, and it’s cadences. Basically we are practicing how to move large formations of people, like 30 to 40 people, in a uniformed direction.

What is the hardest thing you have to do in ROTC?

The hardest thing would probably waking up every morning, very early.

What time are we talking here?

Some days it’s 5 a.m., other days it’s 5:30, varying on the work out that we do that morning.

And how many pull-ups can you do?

Probably like, eight.

How many push-ups?

65 … in a row.

How does Airborne compare to regular skydiving?

Skydiving usually happens at about 14,000 feet, and your free fall time is maybe up to a minute; anyway, Airborne is combat. It is to get to the bottom of the ground as fast as you can so you don’t get shot at by the enemy. Skydiving is a civilian approach of free-falling and then in the Army, free-falling is called Halo, and that is where you jump and get dropped off at 25,000 feet and are able to maneuver yourself three miles from your objective and are able to land undetected to your objective.

So you know how to do all of that?

No, not free-fall … but combat jumps, yes.

You are probably one of the most intimidating women on this campus, how do you feel about that?

I am not intimidating.

But, you can do a lot of things that many people will never experience, and that is something to be proud of.

Thank you. Well actually, it is pretty overrated. I just have been blessed with a lot of opportunities and I am thankful for that, and I recognize that I have been given a lot of chances to do some pretty cool things and it’s all possible.

Where is the one place you want to go in the world, with the Army?

I would love to be stationed in Italy.

— Caroline Nachazel