‘Violet’ blossoms with powerful message

Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat

From left, Flick (Damian Hudson), Violet (Rebecca Spigelman) and Monty (Travis) hang around in Violet, a new play of the Arizona Repertory Theatres 2009-2010 season going on in Tornabene Theatre from April 11 through May 2.
    Michael Ignatov
    Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat From left, Flick (Damian Hudson), Violet (Rebecca Spigelman) and Monty (Travis) hang around in ‘Violet,’ a new play of the Arizona Repertory Theatre’s 2009-2010 season going on in Tornabene Theatre from April 11 through May 2.

Tornabene Theatre will bloom with hope, love, courage and beauty, beginning Friday night as the Arizona Repertory Theatre brings “”Violet,”” one of the most highly acclaimed off-Broadway spectacles, to the UA campus.

“”Violet,”” the final production of the theatre’s eclectic and entertaining season, has been hailed by critics as a striking and memorable musical experience, taking audiences on one woman’s inspirational journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance.

The story follows Violet, whose life suddenly changed with one swift slip of an axe. Although she was left with a horrific facial scar following the accident, the wound ran deeper, scarring her soul.

Years later, Violet, still consumed with grief, hears of an opportunity for release from her torment. Leaving the security of her small town in North Carolina, she embarks on a journey to see a televangelist who she hopes will miraculously heal her.

However, Violet’s quest for beauty soon becomes a journey about gaining courage, finding forgiveness and confronting her fears. With the help of several quirky individuals she meets along the way, she learns to open her eyes to new aspects of life and to explore another side of herself.

By the time she reaches her destination, Violet finds that her wish depends on discovering the beauty within herself.

“”It’s a really special musical,”” says Rebecca Spigelman, a musical theatre senior who plays the role of Violet. “”I play a very real character that everyone will be able to relate to in some way.””

Kevin Becerra, a theatre production junior, added, “”We are all carrying a scar, whether it be physical, emotional or otherwise.””

With a powerful score by award-winning composer Jeanine Tesori, the music behind such hits as “”Shrek: The Musical”” and “”Thoroughly Modern Millie,”” “”Violet”” features compelling ballads and energetic gospel songs that guide Violet on her inspirational journey.

Although it is only one woman’s story, “”Violet is a musical that touches hearts on a universal level,”” said director Betsy Kruse Craig.

“”It’s about embracing your inner self, your inner beauty,”” says Spigelman. “”Although what you see in the mirror may not be to your liking, we all have the capacity to love and be loved in return.””