Senate steps back on censorship suggestion

ASUA senators Andre Rubio and Gabby Ziccarelli look over key points of the senate meetings agenda during a recess in the ASUA meeting in the SUMC on Wednesday.
    ASUA senators Andre Rubio and Gabby Ziccarelli look over key points of the senate meeting’s agenda during a recess in the ASUA meeting in the SUMC on Wednesday.

The ASUA Senate meeting Wednesday evening was primarily centered on passing the new Associated Students of the University of Arizona election codes. The code has been reformed and the improvements are focused on making the election process more efficiently regulated.

The senators were able to make their suggestions and ask questions, which ranged from student accessibility to list-serves in order to endorse a candidate, all the way to Sen. Nick Macchiaroli’s sustainability suggestion.

“”One thing that is not in the code is about sustainability,”” Macchiaroli said. “”We should encourage candidates to recycle their campaign materials because of how much is used.””

After the election code passed, the meeting shifted to senate reports. While Sen. Bryan Baker took time to cheer on Wildcat football, Sen. Emily Fritze commented on the controversial cartoon.

“”I attended the “”U of A Celebrate”” on the Mall today. There wasn’t a huge crowd, but there was definitely good energy, in regards to the conclusion to last week, with all the events regarding the comic,”” Fritze said. “”It’s good to see it winding down. We represent the students, who were disgruntled, but also the students at the Daily Wildcat. Regardless of what that opinion is, we support their paper and freedom of speech. Our presence at a meeting does not mean we support one side over the other.””

ASUA previously advocated outlawing all offensive speech within the Wildcat, a measure equal to censoring a public publication, an illegal act.

During the “”President’s Privilege,”” ASUA President Tommy Bruce gave a preview of what the ASUA can expect for next week.

The Arizona Students Association will be visiting the senate within the next few weeks in order to discuss President Robert Shelton’s recent tuition proposal. As a result of the UA Transformation process, there will be a class, co-hosted by ASUA, that will teach what is actually going on in the transformation process.

Two students from each college are allowed to take the class, and they will be able to give suggestions and eventually give a presentation to Shelton and Provost Meredith Hay.

There will be new Zona Zoo protocol introduced as a result of the inappropriate student behavior at the Homecoming game, the senate said.

“”We are working closely with Arizona Athletics. On Monday, we will be showing how things will be different in the next two games.

“”The behavior and actions by students was unacceptable in the sense that they had the potential to directly harm students and patrons at the football game. We want to make it as easy as possible to get into and go to the next few games. We are bowl-eligible, and this is a different season than our fans have seen in the past decade. We need to make sure our students are representing Zona Zoo well,”” Bruce said.