Not only roadrunners cross Sarnoff

Jeremy Williams plays outside of The Rialto Theatre yesterday afternoon. His band ,Crossing Sarnoff ,will be playing Friday night at The Hut.

It’s fitting that a band from Tucson has a roadrunner to thank for inspiration.

Jeremy Williams is the frontman of Crossing Sarnoff, one of Tucson’s young A-list bands. Williams grew up near North Sarnoff Drive in Tucson’s Eastside, where he had an interesting experience years ago. He witnessed, on two consecutive days, a roadrunner crossing the road in the same place. Perplexed by the sighting, Crossing Sarnoff became his band’s name.

“”Most of our songs are about being stuck in Arizona,”” Williams said.

The songs that Williams refers to are straightforward, yet engaging combinations of acoustic and electric guitar rock. Not surprisingly, Crossing Sarnoff draws on the sound of another youthful Arizona band, Jimmy Eat World.

Williams describes the band’s sound as “”a crazy kind of mix”” of influences. While he cites Jimmy Eat World as an influence, his bandmates lean towards jam bands like Phish.

“”Pneumonia”” is currently one of the band’s featured songs and for good reason. It packs a punch with raw emotion and energy from beginning to end. Such a radio-worthy track is reason alone to rethink the stigma placed on local bands.

3 Q’s:
    Favorite place to play music in Tucson? Club Congress
    Favorite local band? No comment.
    Favorite food in Tucson? Jimmy John’s

Williams said he believes that Crossing Sarnoff is ready for more opportunities in the music industry than just playing local shows as “”a bar band.””

“”We’re at the point that we need to play with bands that are better than us,”” Williams said.

Crossing Sarnoff’s next two scheduled shows are both as openers: one for The B Foundation and the other for New York indie rockers Steel Train.

When playing a show, opening or not, the band always attempts to remain honest, Williams said.

“”We try to be ourselves,”” he said. “”Music really isn’t music unless you’re honest with yourself and with your audience.””

Williams said he hopes to write songs that make people feel better no matter what their interpretation of the lyrics may be. In fact, Williams said, band members often argues over their interpretations of his lyrics.

Williams has come a long way since he wrote his first song, which he described as “”the most sad, most pathetic song you’d ever want to hear.”” Fast-forward to the present where Crossing Sarnoff is turning heads and making new fans all over Tucson.

The band plans to enter a studio soon and record a small set of songs it hopes to ship out to record labels.

“”I think our music can take us across the country,”” Williams said.

Crossing Sarnoff is playing Friday night at The Hut, 305 N. Fourth Ave. Other performing bands include headliners The B Foundation and Hecker. The 21-and-over show begins at 9.